Delonix Regia

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a number of Delonix Regia small trees , what the idea growing temperture for these trees ?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't see people growing these as bonsai very often. Glad to see someone else who has one! I started mine from a seed last October and it's now almost 3 feet (91 cm) tall, with a trunk 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) thick. They're typically considered tropical trees, and their USDA growing zone range is 10-12, so you should be good. They can't tolerate temperatures lower than about 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius) though, so I have to bring mine inside during the winter and make sure it gets plenty of sun. You are probably OK to leave yours outside year-round unless you have some abnormally cold nights, in which case just bring them inside temporarily if you can.

I'm originally from south Florida, and Royal Poincianas (aka Flame Trees) are all over the place down there. I don't know how much luck I'll have with mine up here, but I'm going to try my best. Good luck with all yours!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's from Madagascar, so hot and rainforest wet. They are deciduous in Miami, and you are about one whole zone cooler and drier. I assume you are not new to Auckland and that you have not seen them growing in the landscapes there, so again assuming, you are about one whole zone too cool, closer to Orlando weather. I don't know if they grow at Disney World or not. I'm also guessing that Bougainvillea grow there but die back to the ground over what passes for winter. Is any of this your experience?

If all that is true, then you can probably keep them outdoors almost all year and protect them for a couple of your coolest months. I've had one for 10+ years that has never flowered for me, probably because I have to cut it back every winter to fit it into the greenhouse. It has enough leaders now so that it is more ~compact~ and I will not cut it back this winter so it can grow flowers on the tips of this year's branches next summer, and I am hoping that next year will be one I've been looking for.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Flame plants do fine here. I don't pay much attention to them but they're very common.

Bougainvillea in no way shape or form die back in winter in central Fl. Ours has grown taller than our house and is un-unstoppable. It's not uncommon to see them growing huge like that. Our bougainvillea in large pots by the pool never die back either. None of our bougainvillea have ever died back due to seasonal changes.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
The seeds come originally from Gujarat , India.
I've got 5 X Delonix Regia to germinate and we just coming into spring here in Auckland , New Zealand . Would I best put them in the ground and let the trunks develop etc...?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How about some in each place? If you have a big space in your landscape it would be a wonderful addition.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are plenty of those in Puerto Rico, they love it hot and humid. They are evergreen there as the temps there rarely dip below mid 70's. I have seen a few people try them as bonsai, they do ok as big bonsai, but the examples I have seen failed to attain any leave reduction. I think letting the tree get rootbound and using akadama or a substrate that breaks down with the roots would help reducing the leaves.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have a number of Delonix Regia small trees , what the idea growing temperture for these trees ?
You are in 10B. That is the ideal area. Don't worry about temperature, just leave them outside and watch them grow very fast.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don't see people growing these as bonsai very often. Glad to see someone else who has one! I started mine from a seed last October and it's now almost 3 feet (91 cm) tall, with a trunk 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) thick. They're typically considered tropical trees, and their USDA growing zone range is 10-12, so you should be good. They can't tolerate temperatures lower than about 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius) though, so I have to bring mine inside during the winter and make sure it gets plenty of sun. You are probably OK to leave yours outside year-round unless you have some abnormally cold nights, in which case just bring them inside temporarily if you can.

I'm originally from south Florida, and Royal Poincianas (aka Flame Trees) are all over the place down there. I don't know how much luck I'll have with mine up here, but I'm going to try my best. Good luck with all yours!
I have seen people keeping Royal Poincianas alive all the way up to zone 6. Just have to take them in when the temperature dip below 34 deg F. All the leaves will fall off and they go dormant until spring. Just don't forget to water it every now and then. You don't want the roots to be completely dry.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks very much , I was just going to transfer them to an outdoor enviroment they have been sitting in my sun room . Maybe I'll plant a couple of them in the landscape and see how they go.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There are plenty of those in Puerto Rico, they love it hot and humid. They are evergreen there as the temps there rarely dip below mid 70's. I have seen a few people try them as bonsai, they do ok as big bonsai, but the examples I have seen failed to attain any leave reduction. I think letting the tree get rootbound and using akadama or a substrate that breaks down with the roots would help reducing the leaves.

I can't reduce the leaves of delonix regia. The compound leaves will stay huge. However we can select those leaves in the spring and make them appear like branches. In most cases Delonix regia are treated like wisterias, hidden in the back of the garden and brought out to show only when flowering.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think someone who is skillful could probably make a big one look like a big bonsai, -in PR or thereabouts. Up here in snowbird land we would be happy just to get flowers on whatever it looked like. I'm ten years into this and that will soften you up to take what you can get, declare victory and move on! The fronds are approximately like branches if you close one eye and stare at it with a personality changing beverage, or two...
Poi 092221 SQ.JPG
While I think about it, Pines don't look like miniature trees either. They look like bonsai.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think someone who is skillful could probably make a big one look like a big bonsai, -in PR or thereabouts. Up here in snowbird land we would be happy just to get flowers on whatever it looked like. I'm ten years into this and that will soften you up to take what you can get, declare victory and move on! The fronds are approximately like branches if you close one eye and stare at it with a personality changing beverage, or two...
The only reason I'm growing one of these is because I got seeds in a "Bonsai Starter Kit" that my wife ordered for me last year off Amazon. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them due to their generally poor qualities for bonsai. In fact, all four tree species that came in that starter kit are suspect for a beginning bonsai enthusiast: Delonix regia, Jacaranda mimosifolia (Blue Jacaranda), Pinus aristata (Rocky Mtn. Pine) and Picea abies (Norway Spruce). Why would you give a newbie those four species to start with? Give them maple or JBP seeds or something.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I was in India recently and was walking around the local town . I found the seed pod and took it home (it was extremely hard to open ) I took 10 of best looking seed bought them home . I didn't release what the seeds were at the time . ( the Flame tree was not it season at the time ( January 2018 )

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The only reason I'm growing one of these is because I got seeds in a "Bonsai Starter Kit" that my wife ordered for me last year off Amazon. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with them due to their generally poor qualities for bonsai. In fact, all four tree species that came in that starter kit are suspect for a beginning bonsai enthusiast: Delonix regia, Jacaranda mimosifolia (Blue Jacaranda), Pinus aristata (Rocky Mtn. Pine) and Picea abies (Norway Spruce). Why would you give a newbie those four species to start with? Give them maple or JBP seeds or something.
They are peddling surplus seeds to the uninitiated. It's cheating people and they are earning bonus points they can spend in Hell.
I was in India recently and was walking around the local town . I found the seed pod and took it home (it was extremely hard to open ) I took 10 of best looking seed bought them home . I didn't release what the seeds were at the time . ( the Flame tree was not it season at the time ( January 2018 )
They bloom in summer so you would expect that the pods would be just what you found. Next time look up, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think this is achievable in a very short time View attachment 399540
By "short", do you mean 50 years? 😆 What's crazy is that the kit I got came with a booklet showing photos of all four trees as fully-trained bonsai that are easily decades old. Such a crummy way to take advantage of people. By the way, Flame Trees and Blue Jacaranda do look amazing as really old trained bonsai. Not sure I got that sort of patience, but we'll see.

Top Bottom