Demon Feet

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Mr. Tanaka of Aichien in Nagoya is the owner of this bad ass pot below and I believe Juan Andrade was the one that took this pic. I asked Juan if he knew the maker, but he didn't.

-Anyone have any pics of unusual pot feet they like?
-Any other good demon pot feet out there?
-Like this? Dislike? too ornate? Coolest thing ever? Curious to hear what you think.

E9994183-A54E-43CD-8692-D24C5240EFB2_zpsc9djskip.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are many potters who add demon feet to their work, but one of the most famous is Okatani Zeshin. His pots are typically pretty expensive, but the carving detail is fantastic.

Of course a shot of the whole pot plus the signature/chop would be most helpful (if you're trying to ID the pot you posted).

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Jeremiah! I love pots with unique feet, and try and buy them when I can. I have a cool first generation Yamaaki with Demon feet and an Izumi Ya with not quite demon feet, but a cool little mean face on all three feet. I just missed a nice demon feet pot this past auction cycle on Facebook. Here are the pictures of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_6989.PNG
    IMG_6989.PNG
    153.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6987.PNG
    IMG_6987.PNG
    172.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6994.PNG
    IMG_6994.PNG
    172.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4497.PNG
    IMG_4497.PNG
    242.4 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
No demon feet but i've got a cool coiled snake footed pot. Have to wait for the snow to melt before i can get pics. I love the demon feet though, Just have not ever found any to buy.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Not quite demon feet, but this and this are close.
Man, that guy is very talented. I'll have to look into more of this stuff.

For me, adding Demon feet or any ornate pot foot is walking a fine line between being beautiful as opposed to too distracting from the tree. If I were looking at a show tree, id want to see the tree and pot first, then notice the feet as almost an after thought.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
There are many potters who add demon feet to their work, but one of the most famous is Okatani Zeshin. His pots are typically pretty expensive, but the carving detail is fantastic.

Of course a shot of the whole pot plus the signature/chop would be most helpful (if you're trying to ID the pot you posted).
I just googled his pots, very nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for him.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Man, that guy is very talented. I'll have to look into more of this stuff.

For me, adding Demon feet or any ornate pot foot is walking a fine line between being beautiful as opposed to too distracting from the tree. If I were looking at a show tree, id want to see the tree and pot first, then notice the feet as almost an after thought.

I agree some of his pots aren't subtle, but I appreciate the craftsmanship. I really enjoy his Youtube videos, but getting your hands on anything will be hard. It doesn't look like he ships to the US anymore.

Top Bottom