Dennis Makishima at the American Bonsai Association of Sacramento Show

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was fortunate to attend the American Bonsai Association of Sacramento yearly show last weekend. Dennis Makishima was the speaker. There were close to 100 trees exhibited, several vendors, and the raffled items were pretty good. I really enjoyed it and wanted to share some of the experience.

Here’s Dennis Makishima:
F9A4896B-C584-41A2-A134-3A5815B247B2.jpeg

Dennis was very effective speaker and demonstrator because he was both clear in his explanations and always explained why he did what he did. For example, he said that he uses a high percentage of perlite in his soil mix. Then he explained why. He explained that where he lives in the Bay Area, it’s relatively cool and foggy, and perlite retains heat well. So in his cooler environment, the heat-retaining perlite gives warmth to his roots and helps the roots grow stronger. Conversely, perlite might not be recommended for the heat of Sacramento.

Here are some memorable quotes from Dennis that I wrote down:

Sometimes it’s more artistic to have something that’s not perfectly formed.

If you only get better at the bonsai craft, then all you’ll learn is how to create cookie cutter trees. Strive to get better at bonsai art.

If you fully into the art of it, you won’t even know what you did when you’re done. If you know what you’re doing as you do it, you’re too much into the craft.

The books say that the wire is supposed to be applied at a 45 degree angle. Some guys say 38 degrees. Everyone has their own little things to one-up the next guy. I don’t care. Just put the wire on the branch and bend it how you want it without breaking the branch.

Always try to create negative space in the tree. There’s space in every tree. You just have to find it.

I never wanted to be an artist. I always wanted to be the viewer.

And here’s just a few trees that were shown:
AD65A143-2248-4E1F-BA1A-5FA7AC5AB65E.jpeg
813CBFD7-F1BA-477F-8463-E6CEF0DA5F34.jpeg
7A396871-8920-4BD9-87AE-AB9F628A832F.jpeg
9BFB8424-3E17-45B9-9D12-552B30C4D0B0.jpeg
6CA65C93-17B7-45D3-BC7A-7C6E88920C0E.jpeg
45D80F62-FF0B-467B-A36C-5D1DAFC43C03.jpeg

Hope everyone enjoys this thumbnail view into the great weekend.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How many times did he say "Whack it off!"?

He did a workshop/demo at one of Bill V's symposiums about 6 years ago, think it was a black pine he worked with. I think he used that phrase about 100 times.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How many times did he say "Whack it off!"?

He did a workshop/demo at one of Bill V's symposiums about 6 years ago, think it was a black pine he worked with. I think he used that phrase about 100 times.

Now that you did mention it, he did say “Whack it off” a lot.

When he was working on the Japanese black pine, he began by saying that you should never remove more than 30% off of a JBP’s foliage at one time.

After a while, there was clearly more foliage on the table than still on the tree. He asked the audience, “How much foliage do you think we’ve taken off yet? More than 30%? Less?”

The audience was silent.

Then he said, “It’s less. You know why? Because we can’t take off more than 30%, and there’s still more that I need to take off. Like this branch here? See? Whack it off.”

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that you did mention it, he did say “Whack it off” a lot.

When he was working on the Japanese black pine, he began by saying that you should never remove more than 30% off of a JBP’s foliage at one time.

After a while, there was clearly more foliage on the table than still on the tree. He asked the audience, “How much foliage do you think we’ve taken off yet? More than 30%? Less?”

The audience was silent.

Then he said, “It’s less. You know why? Because we can’t take off more than 30%, and there’s still more that I need to take off. Like this branch here? See? Whack it off.”
LOL...I can still hear his voice saying "whack it off" all these years later!

I'm pretty sure he removed more than 30% of the foliage when he did his demo here also.

Top Bottom