Deodar Cedar and Cryptomeria

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have two new trees coming and trying to plan ahead. I will post pics when they arrive. For the Cryptomeria 'Black Dragon' I am planning on going with the floating pillows/pads/clouds/topiary look. I think this style suits the try very well. The Deodar maybe a formal upright kind of deal. Both are in 3G nursery pots and around 20" tall already. I think I will leave them in the nursery pots for some time to grow them out, the trunks particularly. Would love more advice on styling once I can provide photos.

My main question is storage. I've read some different stuff for the Deodar in particular, which seems to maybe indicate bringing that one in the house through the winter. The Crypto I think is a little more hardy so I was thinking storing with my Hinoki Cypress bonsai's, most likely in a shed. Both the Cedar and the Crypto grow here, but I know the Cedar can sometimes have some cold hardiness problems, and the Cryptos can brown in winter. What would some of you do for these two in particular?

Any other advice for these would also be greatly appreciated.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've got a black dragon I bought last year, spider mites almost killed it, so be mindful of pests...

Top Bottom