Deodar cedar from a Christmas tree, progression.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would also agree to leave the branch. The second branch up sort of comes from an inside curve a bit and also lacks a little bit of power to be a first anchoring branch. Also, the current first branch eminates beautifully from an outside curve. Many of the masterpieces in Japan have branches that begin very low on the trunk. This tree sort of resembles those trees.

Rob

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would also agree to leave the branch. The second branch up sort of comes from an inside curve a bit and also lacks a little bit of power to be a first anchoring branch. Also, the current first branch eminates beautifully from an outside curve. Many of the masterpieces in Japan have branches that begin very low on the trunk. Thsi tree sort of resembles those trees.

Rob

Yes, as do most these trees in nature. That bottom branch imparts a sense of honesty to the tree, like I am hiking up towards it ....

ed

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
All your threads are “how to make great tree from nothing”… so impressive Paul. Excellent!

TrimmyWhimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
The bark is staring to have a nice aged look now.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't listen to earlier opinions about removing the bottom right branch. I think it has become the defining branch of the tree.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm glad I didn't listen to earlier opinions about removing the bottom right branch. I think it has become the defining branch of the tree.

I was just thinking this.

Really love this tree. Now you got me thinking how I can get a burlapped tree this year for Christmas.🎅

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
the tee could use a Jin somewhere?
Hard to see in the photo but there's a small jin at the top front and one on the third branch up on the right.

Last edited:

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Gorgeous tree. What has your experience been on repotting and working the roots? I have read/heard that cedars are very sensitive to root disturbance.

Top Bottom