Deodar Cedar shaping

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
Picked up this beauty at a local nursery for an awesome price, couldn’t let it go. It’s been in the current pot for 3-4 years. Started out pretty straggly so I’ve started to clean it up although now I’m stuck on what to do next! I have 2 possibly new leaders and I’m reaching out to the more experienced. I’ve color coded my thoughts…Red and green look like possibilities, not yellow. Now though, if green were to be new leader, red and yellow look to be too thick to be branches. So I’m thinking of Red being the new leader and making Jin out of green and yellow. That just makes the overall tree smaller which I’m okay with. Any thoughts? Recommendations? Thank you in advance!
CA5598E2-215C-447A-A091-019219B2B889.jpeg
21FCE08E-A5A9-464F-BBCB-5EA68AC7C910.jpeg
76886B56-4FA0-45F1-8AE9-3AB7969D5AD8.jpeg
CA5598E2-215C-447A-A091-019219B2B889.jpeg
21FCE08E-A5A9-464F-BBCB-5EA68AC7C910.jpeg
76886B56-4FA0-45F1-8AE9-3AB7969D5AD8.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'd probably go with red for the new apex too. Green is way too tall and yellow just takes the lean too far out.

I'd urge you to try to find examples of old deodars to look at the mature growth habit. They seem to mature as flat topped trees rather than a single intact leader with pointy apex.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree. I like red too for a leader/apex. I quickly googled deodar cedar for pictures and it seems they sometimes keep the point leader. The Lebanese cedar has that awesome natural pad formation. I would say you could go either way with the shape of the apex but it might be easier to go with what the tree wants to do.

Libani:

Deodara:

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
I wish I knew what exact variety of Cedrus Deodora it is. Some seem to be more conical while others more weeping. I’ve been thumbing through some Deodar images (also thanks for the links!) and also thinking about Slant (shakan) style for this bonsai. So I think I’ve ruled out green (at least trim it down) may add depth for a more flat top. I’ve also been thinking about the yellow branch though in keeping with the shakan style. Any thoughts on that? Will try to add more pictures later with covering green, red, yellow and get a more clear picture.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
thinking about Slant (shakan) style for this bonsai.

It would be good to have all the info right up front.
Now that you have mentioned favouring slant style I agree that yellow line would be the only viable option.

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
It would be good to have all the info right up front.
Now that you have mentioned favouring slant style I agree that yellow line would be the only viable option.
Well my thoughts are since it’s already in the slant style so why not just continue what the tree is already doing?

My initial thoughts were to go with green, then realized that would just be too tall. Then I was thinking red after covering up green. Then I was thinking well if it’s already slanting just to keep with it? I still like red, although with keeping with slant, I do agree yellow is the only option. I think I’m going to cut down green and see what does visually since the consensus is definitely to not go with the green branch. I appreciate all the input!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Were roots just whacked to get into shallow container:rolleyes:? If so leave tree alone to recover(or die)until obvious vigorous growth appears in a year or more. Jiggling damaged/new roots will only cause ill health or death of tree.

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
Were roots just whacked to get into shallow container:rolleyes:? If so leave tree alone to recover(or die)until obvious vigorous growth appears in a year or more. Jiggling damaged/new roots will only cause ill health or death of tree.
It was put into shallow pot about 3-4 years ago per the nurseryman I purchased it from.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is good. Root system appears one sided from planting angle.

Top Bottom