Depot Eastern Hemlock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I feel your going to have to make a decision. Visa visa branch removal . Traditional conifer styling . Would create Jin’s which of course is a option . But as you know hemlock have great wound healing capabilities. There is the fact they bark up slowly so wounds heal but take time to look natural . Be careful in a work shop . Drastic root pruning to get a tree in a nice pot added with a heavy restyle has killed a lot of trees . I don’t mean to sound rude . But it’s a pitfall I have seen a lot of experienced people make . Hemlock can be finicky to root work . Don’t do both at same time , the tree has great potential . Using existing branches and foliage . Is fine the risk of course is growth to far from the trunk eventually . A drastic hair cut and branch pruning at a workshop will stimulate growth from interior buds that also now receive light . As for styling I’m slightly reluctant to influence . Your thoughts . The relatively straight lower trunk is a factor . There is of course a a informal upright tree there . A slanting tree is a simple possibility . So is something more dramatic like a windswept . Using some of the existing foliage as you seem to interested in . So is a semi cascade possible with more work . Step one game plan . Ie style and time line . Something I feel people overlook . Are you looking for a long term project that requires more development . Or something simpler in style but takes less time
Thank you for the input! Everyone.
No danger of restyling and repotting in one go. I was going to do a fall workshop at Natures Way (no email back from them yet, but I assume it is a go) to get some assistance in choosing lower branches to take out or Jin. And then pot this Spring or next, partially dependent on if I get the new pot(s) this January or next.
The roots are very symmetric as is, so I wasn’t planning on messing with the angle, though it would be possible to adjust given the wound healing properties. I was thinking informal upright with weeping foliage and perhaps some cascading branches. The deeper lotus pot was intended to allow for some cascading branches.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if you are looking for opinions . Take it how you like just spit balling . Informal upright . All the branches at the base of the trunk have to go . I would go with wound healing like they were never there . Adds taper . The 2 crossing branches in the pic if that’s the front have to go also . The small lower branch on the right has great possibility as the first branch . Drastic foliage reduction start branch development from . New growth close to the trunk . Leave the roots completely alone . Feed it heavily both to push the new growth . At least a year before repot into your new pot . Over that need better pics . For what it’s worth I think you have made tie correct choice of style . I would have gone for something more dramatic . But I could find a windswept tree in any piece of material 😂😂😂. That does not make it the right choice there is a great informal upright with no deadwood and healed wounds there .

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well if you are looking for opinions . Take it how you like just spit balling . Informal upright . All the branches at the base of the trunk have to go . I would go with wound healing like they were never there . Adds taper . The 2 crossing branches in the pic if that’s the front have to go also . The small lower branch on the right has great possibility as the first branch . Drastic foliage reduction start branch development from . New growth close to the trunk . Leave the roots completely alone . Feed it heavily both to push the new growth . At least a year before repot into your new pot . Over that need better pics . For what it’s worth I think you have made tie correct choice of style . I would have gone for something more dramatic . But I could find a windswept tree in any piece of material 😂😂😂. That does not make it the right choice there is a great informal upright with no deadwood and healed wounds there .
Thanks again for the input and I’ll be considering your going into the workshop. I do like like spit-balling and iterative development more generally. I don’know if I’ll take off all the lower branches, but I’ll consider it.
I think my target design will be hybrid informal upright and semi-cascade if that makes any sense.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They cascade well with the weeping foliage . Do you have a branch in mind for the cascade
Not yet, that’s why I have such a hard time removing the lower branches. It’ll happen though.. November, workshop or no, I’ll be making some decisions.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
healed wounds on a conifer and no deadwood🤔

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was looking at some images of these trees in the wild, I dont think the growth habit is essentially 'weeping' but they do sag a little from sheer weight of foliage, they look just like Spruces.
this is probably as close as youd get to a real one, its not weeping

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1662632432207.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662632432207.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 49
  • FB_IMG_1662632444749.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662632444749.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 49

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive not been to a workshop, but i suspect the logical way to start with this material is to begin a process of elimination. youd want to start by choosing all the branches with foliage as close to the trunk as possible and eliminating long leggy ones with growth only at the ends.
It takes a long to time to grow thick low branches on a conifer, so just removing them flush kinda takes away a piece of the trees soul/character, thats one reason why branches on conifers arent always removed entirely, as jins and dead bits can give the tree a story, maybe a reminder of what once was.
Keeping some thicker bits even if they only have bits on the end may be still needed for a design, like the tree posted above.
all things to consider really. maybe you can still get one or two to back bud over time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was looking at some images of these trees in the wild, I dont think the growth habit is essentially 'weeping' but they do sag a little from sheer weight of foliage, they look just like Spruces.
These are great examples. They are hemlock, not spruce correct? Did you find via general search? It is hard to view hemlock in the wild in mature form because they get so big in groves that you just see trunks. Can’t see the trees for the forest.
You are right that the weight of the foliage tends to pull the branches down. I have two eastern hemlock, and their habits are very different. My wild type tend to be more vertical but then the weight brings it down to horizontal. But this one from the big box store, starts horizontal and then pulls down. Also the shadier, weaker pieces have a true cascade effect. I’ll try to grab a photo.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are great examples. They are hemlock, not spruce correct? Did you find via general search? It is hard to view hemlock in the wild in mature form because they get so big in groves that you just see trunks. Can’t see the trees for the forest.
You are right that the weight of the foliage tends to pull the branches down. I have two eastern hemlock, and their habits are very different. My wild type tend to be more vertical but then the weight brings it down to horizontal. But this one from the big box store, starts horizontal and then pulls down. Also the shadier, weaker pieces have a true cascade effect. I’ll try to grab a photo.
yes its an Eastern hemlock Harry harrington styled. thats a before n after.
If you do a google or flickr search, there are tons of images of all sorts of tree species, one can google old E hemlock trees, branches, foliage, grow habits etc its all there😊
Lower shaded out branches can often be lanky, droopy and have that effect because theyre searching for light, i have elms that look like that, the branches have gotten too heavy and are literally running along the soil line, but its by no means a cascading elm😊
however, if the branches you mention have character and would make a great design then one can definitely reconsider. will that fit with the upright trunk tho

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
yes its an Eastern hemlock Harry harrington styled. thats a before n after.
If you do a google or flickr search, there are tons of images of all sorts of tree species, one can google old E hemlock trees, branches, foliage, grow habits etc its all there😊
Lower shaded out branches can often be lanky, droopy and have that effect because theyre searching for light, i have elms that look like that, the branches have gotten too heavy and are literally running along the soil line, but its by no means a cascading elm😊
however, if the branches you mention have character and would make a great design then one can definitely reconsider. will that fit with the upright trunk tho
It is interesting how the fan shape cascades it can weave around itself. I’d like to harness some of this habit in the design, but I think I’d have to give it lower light levels. I haven’t used any wire on this tree.F304E383-780D-4735-B9D3-F20B4441C246.jpeg4A25D53A-F42D-4525-B85A-4E7EC2202E89.jpegDB213146-3F76-406C-8414-2C4957799A99.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive not been to a workshop, but i suspect the logical way to start with this material is to begin a process of elimination. youd want to start by choosing all the branches with foliage as close to the trunk as possible and eliminating long leggy ones with growth only at the ends.
It takes a long to time to grow thick low branches on a conifer, so just removing them flush kinda takes away a piece of the trees soul/character, thats one reason why branches on conifers arent always removed entirely, as jins and dead bits can give the tree a story, maybe a reminder of what once was.
Keeping some thicker bits even if they only have bits on the end may be still needed for a design, like the tree posted above.
all things to consider really. maybe you can still get one or two to back bud over time.
Process of elimination has been my strategy but I have been very conservative when it comes to preserving options. Some longer branches I kept long if the outer growth had a natural line from the trunk, but even those I have been bringing in incrementally.
I have retained stumps from the cut branches as of yet. I figure they could always be cut flush later, but it would be tricky to glue them back on.
I realized some of the longer branches that I though were pretty decent, look longer and straighter when viewed from a proper viewing angle. I kept the tree low and viewed from the top when doing much of the cutbacks.
It will get there eventually.. I am enjoying the process.

thank you for the input!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Process of elimination has been my strategy but I have been very conservative when it comes to preserving options. Some longer branches I kept long if the outer growth had a natural line from the trunk, but even those I have been bringing in incrementally.
I have retained stumps from the cut branches as of yet. I figure they could always be cut flush later, but it would be tricky to glue them back on.
I realized some of the longer branches that I though were pretty decent, look longer and straighter when viewed from a proper viewing angle. I kept the tree low and viewed from the top when doing much of the cutbacks.
It will get there eventually.. I am enjoying the process.

thank you for the input!
so when you bring it in i take it you mean by pruning, does it back bud on the older wood or closer to the trunk?
the elimination process is by branch selection, you have too much than youll need which is why its difficult to see what is happening.
id imagine a lot of it will come off at the workshop, keep us updated!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
bit drastic, but he appears to know a bit about the species. what he says about being able to at least see where the branches emanate from will be what you want to do in the initial first steps of making it into a tree, its currently still a bush

note the viewing angles everyone is shooting videos and pictures from.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It doesn’t backbud on old wood. My wild type is more inclined to occasionally backbud where there were leaves within the last couple years.
Another option could be to self graft. Apparently these take grafts quite well, but that is a last resort for me. I personally couldn’t graft a ficus, so I’d likely have to bribe someone to graft for me if it came to that.
Yes, I fully agree there is too much going on to get a good picture of where it is going. Even in person, and much more so in my terrible photos. That’s why I need a workshop to help me with the bigger branch selection.
I think you are right that a lot is going to come off and I will keep the Nuts apprised. It might even become easier to photograph once that happen. I end up using weird angles to peer in at the trunk.
Oooh, some hemlock videos! I have searched for some like these unsuccessfully. Experience with hemlock seems to be few and far between. Big thank you.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bit drastic, but he appears to know a bit about the species. what he says about being able to at least see where the branches emanate from will be what you want to do in the initial first steps of making it into a tree, its currently still a bush

note the viewing angles everyone is shooting videos and pictures from.
David Easterbrook is from Montreal . Long time bonsai enthusiast and teacher / lecture r all over the east of Canada and the USA . Highly respected . He is former curator of the bonsai exhibit at the Montreal botanical garden . ( one of the finest collections in the north east ) very experienced and a great guy very willing to share his knowledge . His personal collection is vast and contains all the usual suspects . He has a love of native wild trees . Has multiple truly great trees . Arguable some of the best eastern larch in existence .

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
David Easterbrook is from Montreal . Long time bonsai enthusiast and teacher / lecture r all over the east of Canada and the USA . Highly respected . He is former curator of the bonsai exhibit at the Montreal botanical garden . ( one of the finest collections in the north east ) very experienced and a great guy very willing to share his knowledge . His personal collection is vast and contains all the usual suspects . He has a love of native wild trees . Has multiple truly great trees . Arguable some of the best eastern larch in existence .
yeh he definitely knows what he's talking about, i come across a few of his vids.
what he says in this video about downward branches and upward branch jins being incongruent is true, a lot of people do it too. Sometimes it works and other times it just doesnt flow.
I keep saying to everyone, you can learn so much from youtube and its free.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yeh he definitely knows what he's talking about, i come across a few of his vids.
what he says in this video about downward branches and upward branch jins being incongruent is true, a lot of people do it too. Sometimes it works and other times it just doesnt flow.
I keep saying to everyone, you can learn so much from youtube and its free.
David’s skills are rock solid . The YouTube Chanel is fairly new . But a bonus of his is he has a lot of teaching bonsai experience . From what I have seen he is keeping the channel fairly basic . Hopefully he will branch into some more in depth stuff . And I agree with you there are some very knowledgeable bonsai people on YouTube. As I said David’s personal collection is impressive . Some very quality traditional stuff , and some very unique especially collected trees . Some of which most would not think of creating . Very inspirational

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Something that may help . The reference to David Easterbrook reminded me . A lot of bonsai people . Have great artistic ability . Including the ability to draw . Sketching your tree . Has great advantages like removal of branches . With a eraser . Multiple styles can be tried . This is a great advantage . I’ve seen people take art lessons only for this reason . If your like me I can draw stick men . But modern technology is there to help . I have been looking into phone apps ie photo shop style apps my intention is to use the app for much the same process . Old story a picture is worth a thousand words .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in the land of the Hemlock . I can not agree that they look just like spruce . And do not weep . Foliage and growth habit are not spruce like . They do have a apical dominant leader . But it almost always has a leaning or non upright habit . In its native habitat . It is a climax tree often growing with sugar maple . Both trees create heavy shade that only there seedlings can survive . The hemlock often grow very slowly in the shade waiting for the canopy to open and give them a chance to grow . They often have a elongated weeping habit in the forest . They grow more upright in better light . There are multiple cultivars in the nursery trade . A lot of them are prostrate and or weeping in habit . The pic shows 3 I have the largest is seed grown what I would say regular version grown in fairly good light . The 2 dwarfs are very different the weeping characteristics is apparent in the middle one . The far left is considered the slowest growing version . But it has very small tight foliage and very upright growth . Notice @MrFancyPlants tree in this thread has very different habit then his wild collected tree . These trees have some very unique characteristics and are difficult to pigeon hole with other conifers . Including there ability to heal wounds that rival or superior to most Dicid trees . There love if rich organic soil and ability to tolerate shade . I’m surprised you have not mentioned observing them in the landscape my understanding is they are heavily planted in the UK

Attachments

• CD44857B-5F47-434D-AC83-D1B7FB7A899E.jpeg
    CD44857B-5F47-434D-AC83-D1B7FB7A899E.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom