Depot Eastern Hemlock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think I am going to repot this one next weekend at the NVBS repotting workshop; that is if it doesn’t get snowed out this year. I did some reduction last season, but this one has been bullet proof vigor-wise.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I am going to repot this one next weekend at the NVBS repotting workshop; that is if it doesn’t get snowed out this year. I did some reduction last season, but this one has been bullet proof vigor-wise.
As you know I subscribed to Mirai. One of the first things I researched is all the hemlock vids . According to Ryan all the bad press about hemlock being root pruning sensitive . Is timing just as the buds turn colour before they start to push you have a 7 to 10 days to root prune . In that window they will respond . To drastic pruning with aggressive growth . Outside this window is where all the bad press is related to . He openly admits his experience is with western and mountain . But claims it’s true for all hemlock . Just for your own info.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As you know I subscribed to Mirai. One of the first things I researched is all the hemlock vids . According to Ryan all the bad press about hemlock being root pruning sensitive . Is timing just as the buds turn colour before they start to push you have a 7 to 10 days to root prune . In that window they will respond . To drastic pruning with aggressive growth . Outside this window is where all the bad press is related to . He openly admits his experience is with western and mountain . But claims it’s true for all hemlock . Just for your own info.
You have a point, and this one always buds out later than my other Tsuga, like end of March/beginning of April. My JBP is overdue for a repotting, so I could take it to the workshop instead, and save the move to the smaller pot for next year. I’ll probably decide right before I leave for the workshop this Saturday.
This one doesn’t need a new pot; I just want to get it in there.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a point, and this one always buds out later than my other Tsuga, like end of March/beginning of April. My JBP is overdue for a repotting, so I could take it to the workshop instead, and save the move to the smaller pot for next year. I’ll probably decide right before I leave for the workshop this Saturday.
This one doesn’t need a new pot; I just want to get it in there.
I was not trying to suggest you don’t repot it . Considering what you said . Take the pine to the workshop . And then repot the tsuga at the ideal time at home . That’s what I would do

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it will be a relatively easy repot based on how it went the first time around, but if I was being patient, I would wait until next year and have a bit more foliar mass.
I’m still on the fence about doing the “top down” repot on the literati Tsuga too. I think it may be the furthest along as far as bud development. I’ll probably wait until the last moment before the buds start moving to decide on that one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it will be a relatively easy repot based on how it went the first time around, but if I was being patient, I would wait until next year and have a bit more foliar mass.
I’m still on the fence about doing the “top down” repot on the literati Tsuga too. I think it may be the furthest along as far as bud development. I’ll probably wait until the last moment before the buds start moving to decide on that one.

There are plenty of places I could reduce or remove branches to open up the front, but I was thinking of erring on the side of waiting to appropriately thicken branches before reducing to open it up.

IMG_6499.jpegIMG_6505.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This one is under foster care for the time being. I knew I was having some difficulty making some necessary cuts to realize the potential. There may be some delusions of grandeur involved, but I was dreaming that someday it may be donated to the National Arboretum in honor of Pete and Caecilie Jones.
I think it is on the right track once the foliage can be developed to cascade and balance the yixing lotus pot.IMG_1986.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We were talking about this tree and whether the Yixing pot will still be a good fit. I think it will once the foliage develops and cascades. I.e. a fuller head of hair, to make the tree a bit more feminine to match the pot.IMG_2372.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
IMG_0245.jpegIMG_0247.jpegIt didn’t quite fit into the Yixing pot. The blue glaze does’t fit the tree real well, but the size is nice. I’m not sure if the Yixing will be the finished pot for the tree, but it has developed quite well under Aaron’s care.

Top Bottom