Depressing effect of a bad decision.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This fall I put my tropicals in an enclosure underneath my bench, its part of the bench actually, I made it by enclosing the base area with a commercial grade of clear vinyl used for screen rooms windows and installing a small flourescent grow light. This same light has kept my plants fine through many years of cold fall weather and they actually put out much growth.

This year however I did not have any reflectix insulation on the walls of my enclosure. I assumed that the heavy grade plastic and the light would suffice, but I was wrong. My Scheffelera and my 5 Ficus all froze. I noticed it after returning from some work in Ill. I was gone for 3 days and when I returned there was ice on the inside of my enclosure where the humidity usually builds up. I brought them inside to let them thaw and they all started the leaves turning brown and dropped in a few days.

Oddly enough they all resprouted new growth, my ficus came back with a bang in just a few days, my Scheff took a week. I watched happily as the next two weeks all seemed to return to normal. I arrived in Florida and the sun was shining and the weather fair, and over the next 3 weeks watched as 4 of my ficus died ! The only one that has any signs of life is the small stump that I cut down, my nice cascade is dead, my fallen tigerbark is dead and most depressing my oldest Tigerbark seems to be dead.

I think the Scheffelera being taller than the others may have got more warmth from the light overhead, at least enough to not bite the dust. Then again the little stump was the lowest and it was solid frozen to the point the trunk cracked a little but its holding on so far. I suppose the flush of new growth was the last hurrah for the other ficus and they were hurt so bad they just could not sustain it. I still have the oldest one, my Tigerbark as most the branches still are flexible, its the one seen in this thread, I am hoping for a miracle http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?6801-Taiwan-Ficus-in-its-old-blue-pot

ed

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Ed.. I hope you can salvage at least that one tree. I have heard that trees sometimes do put out one flush of new growth then die.

I sold all my tropicals years ago. It was just too much to have to care for them all through the winter. The thing with tropicals is that in practically all climates, tropicals should go indoors for the winter. I mean, a couple of hard, unexpected freezes out of no where can mean disaster. I guess if you liveed in an area where the temps where still in the 60-80's F they could be outside in winter. However, you will still have to make sure that you were around everyday to monitor the temps.

I wish you luck.

Rob

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've had Ficus freeze down to an inch or two above the ground that came back and have become awesome material- these are nerifolia's but I had Tigerbarks do the same thing.
The scar is where it froze too it was cut clean and put away.

file-157.jpg

Two years from just a stump-

file-156.jpg

Cut back for use as shohin material
file-158.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear this, Ed.

I thought you took your tropicals with you to Florida?

Top Bottom