Desert climate and bonsai

Seraphim01

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't know why my phone keeps auto correcting pergola to pergula...maybe I type with a southern accent I don't know...but just wanted to apologize to y'all for it. And thank y'all for the help I really am thankful for it. I'll post pictures and let y'all know how its goin. Again, many thanks for it all.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Shade cloth should be readily available from plant supplies or hardware stores

Polyfab USA has a range of colors and shade density - http://polyfabusa.com/shade-products/monofilament-shadecloth/
They list 4 distributors in Texas - http://polyfabusa.com/polyfab-shadecloth-distributors/polyfab-distributors/texas/
Those entries are just from an online search. The suppliers may not deal with smaller orders so check your local hardware and big box stores. You may have to look further as many only stock higher density shade cloth that may be too shady for good bonsai growth but as mentioned above you may be able to get around that by making the shaded area a little smaller so trees get more direct sun to compensate for the extra afternoon shade.
There are probably other manufacturers and suppliers.

Your structure can be as complex or as simple as you like. Large hoops are simple and easy to cover. Timber or steel pergola structure looks better and can be stronger if wind is an issue. My structure here is just light weight steel tubing on steel pipe uprights. The shade cloth slides over the top in summer and tied at the corners and at intervals around the edges. Easy to put up and easy to remove for extra winter sun.

Seraphim01

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shade cloth should be readily available from plant supplies or hardware stores

Polyfab USA has a range of colors and shade density - http://polyfabusa.com/shade-products/monofilament-shadecloth/
They list 4 distributors in Texas - http://polyfabusa.com/polyfab-shadecloth-distributors/polyfab-distributors/texas/
Those entries are just from an online search. The suppliers may not deal with smaller orders so check your local hardware and big box stores. You may have to look further as many only stock higher density shade cloth that may be too shady for good bonsai growth but as mentioned above you may be able to get around that by making the shaded area a little smaller so trees get more direct sun to compensate for the extra afternoon shade.
There are probably other manufacturers and suppliers.

Your structure can be as complex or as simple as you like. Large hoops are simple and easy to cover. Timber or steel pergola structure looks better and can be stronger if wind is an issue. My structure here is just light weight steel tubing on steel pipe uprights. The shade cloth slides over the top in summer and tied at the corners and at intervals around the edges. Easy to put up and easy to remove for extra winter sun.
Thank you for that info. I believe I have seen this cloth at Lowe's hardware. I honestley didn't know that they had different density. I didnt even take the time to see what it was...lol...also wind is a huge issue here...that's why I have the wood from a gazebo I built...the wind knocked it over. I'm probably going to have to cement it into the ground.

eskers

Seed
Reaction score
I would love to put trees up. I just moved here a couple yrs ago and I'm not staying in this house. I would hate to plant a tree that someone will cut down in the future. When we moved in we noticed our neighbor had two peach trees and a cherry tree one of the peach trees was very old it was awesome had good movement a nice canopy the root system was great and then 2 days later they got cut down. I dont know why but people cut trees down here for absolutely no reason grass takes alot of care to grow so people just put stones in their yards or just let the grass die and keep it sandy. Its very windy and when the wind comes huge clouds of dust start rolling in. I've said it often that if people would leave the vegetation alone especially the trees we wouldn't have so much dust. Its horrible.
I'm on the same path. Moved to NM just over a year ago and have tried transplanting Siberian Elm sprouts but it was probably the wrong time of the year. And the water has so much mineral content. Everything is salty. I really want a honey locust because they grow here well and are beautiful. I picked up some seed pods from a neighbor's driveway but couldn't sprout them. I am interested in trying bonsai juniper since there are few ones in the yard about 3" high. Any advice on that is welcome.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am living in Inland Empire with hot and dry weather. The summer temperature could be up to 110 degrees of F for few weeks. Our tap water is hard water with pH about 8.
In my experience, saving the coolest place for the trees needed the cooler temperature, and using humic acid granules and mini pine barks . These are savers! You can not go wrong with these . I am able to grow ume , Chojubai which are not suitable for dry , hot weather. Good luck to all of you.
Thụ Thoại

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm on the same path. Moved to NM just over a year ago and have tried transplanting Siberian Elm sprouts but it was probably the wrong time of the year. And the water has so much mineral content. Everything is salty. I really want a honey locust because they grow here well and are beautiful. I picked up some seed pods from a neighbor's driveway but couldn't sprout them. I am interested in trying bonsai juniper since there are few ones in the yard about 3" high. Any advice on that is welcome.
Honey locust seeds need to be cold stratified and scarified. I got 100% success rate this year doing both.

Top Bottom