Desert Rose Confusion

DarcyBlue

Seedling
Reaction score
I am struggling. My desert rose, Carlos, is either determined to die screaming, or is bravely clinging for dear life... and I can't tell which. He stopped growing and looks like an ill twig, and while he sprouts some baby leaves they wither and die only for the process to repeat. His caudex is very soft and the base is yellowish and I worried he had root rot (he's in a cactus soil, I water him when the soil is dry which is about 2x a week here during this time of year), but while some roots may be a little soft (?) there's no black marks. Is it rot? (I hit him with cinnamon jic) Is it under watering? His trunk isn't looking so great but not like any pic of rot that I've seen, but tbh I'm not great with plants and this is the longest I've kept one alive (2 yrs). His roots haven't really seemed to recover from cutting back when I repotted him last year. He lives in a garden window with plenty of sunlight.

Does this sound like underwatering? Should I change soil? Currently using miracle grow cactus and succulent soil. Thank you for any help you can give! I just want him to do well, and not feel like it's an episode of Survivor!

648D4233-2020-40FD-8ACF-5173A9E497E8.jpeg52B30F87-4AE3-4C3C-A0BA-8894BAA5ECBA.jpeg

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You are significantly overwatering Carlos. My desert rose is in MUCH more free draining soil and I water it maybe once every 2 weeks. The soil is also not ideal. Even commercial cactus soil is far too water retentive for ideal health. If the caudex is soft he may be too far gone, and root rot is almost assured. I have never had to do surgery on an adenium, but I know that people bare root and do major surgery on these plants, removing all the rot, and they can survive. Perhaps someone else will have further knowledge on the subject.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I use cactus soil for mine and I've probably had it 10 years, but I water infrequently all year except in the summer and it's just starting to bloom. If the caudex is soft, it may be too late. They put up with a lot of abuses, but overwatering is not one of them.

DarcyBlue

Seedling
Reaction score
You are significantly overwatering Carlos. My desert rose is in MUCH more free draining soil and I water it maybe once every 2 weeks. The soil is also not ideal. Even commercial cactus soil is far too water retentive for ideal health. If the caudex is soft he may be too far gone, and root rot is almost assured. I have never had to do surgery on an adenium, but I know that people bare root and do major surgery on these plants, removing all the rot, and they can survive. Perhaps someone else will have further knowledge on the subject.
Thank you, I'll look into what exactly I would need to do for surgery. What type/brand of soil do you use, or do you blend your own?

DarcyBlue

Seedling
Reaction score
You were right. I just did surgery, it was bad, and I had to cut off about 2" but now I'm left with a healthy looking base. Gonna let mini-Carlos dry out with cinnamon for a few days, try a rooting solution, and research better soil. Fingers crossed! Thanks again :)

InstilledChaos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You were right. I just did surgery, it was bad, and I had to cut off about 2" but now I'm left with a healthy looking base. Gonna let mini-Carlos dry out with cinnamon for a few days, try a rooting solution, and research better soil. Fingers crossed! Thanks again :)
I’m glad you were able to get all of the rot! I wish you luck in Carlos’ recovery. I currently mix my own soils, and my adenium is in 1:1:1 turface, chicken grit, pine bark. Plenty of people will poopoo it, but I am satisfied with the results for a minuscule fraction of the cost of Boon’s Mix (which I also use). As Carol said, you can definitely get cactus soil to work, it just may be a bit more finicky. As with any soil, you just need to learn its behavior of so that you are watering appropriately.

Top Bottom