Desert rose question

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So yesterday at 7pm I gave my desert rose some water. I used a haws watering can (small) and covered all the top soil just enough so he could get a little drink.
Leaves were fine and green then today when I got home at 6pm one leaf is yellow and the other is starting to turn yellow. Yesterday was the first time I watered it in about 3/4 days. I’m in Fort Worth texas and it’s been about 90-95°F with a heat index of 100-104°F. What happened!??? And what should I do?

Attachments

• 45E933E5-8FE0-428E-AF17-1D9D5E0C3389.jpeg
    45E933E5-8FE0-428E-AF17-1D9D5E0C3389.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 18

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Ours gets watered once a week when brought indoors in fall through early spring. However, as soon as it is outside for the season then it gets watered like a tropical, every day. It doesn't mind it and has pushed out a bunch of flowers. With your kind of heat, is be watering ours quite a lot but YMMV.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ours gets watered once a week when brought indoors in fall through early spring. However, as soon as it is outside for the season then it gets watered like a tropical, every day. It doesn't mind it and has pushed out a bunch of flowers. With your kind of heat, is be watering ours quite a lot but YMMV.
Same here, once a week inside for the winter, but just like the others outside in the summer. Mine is about too bloom.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Those are the oldest leaves, and leaves are not forever. It means it is ready to grow a new set or two. As above, put it in full sun & heat, water every day it doesn't rain, feed it from April through October every two weeks with any miracle grow type liquid at label strengths and deadhead flowers as they pass to encourage continuing blooming and to prevent seeds setting. Enjoy!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those are the oldest leaves, and leaves are not forever. It means it is ready to grow a new set or two. As above, put it in full sun & heat, water every day it doesn't rain, feed it from April through October every two weeks with any miracle grow type liquid at label strengths and deadhead flowers as they pass to encourage continuing blooming and to prevent seeds setting. Enjoy!

what soil do you recommend keeping them in, I'm apparently quite good at killing them

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
what soil do you recommend keeping them in, I'm apparently quite good at killing them
They can only be killed when kept indoors in poor light and too wet. It should never stand in water in the tray. Water once a week indoors in the best light/windowsill you have. If you kill one that way, replace it with a fig of your choosing, there are many different leaf forms, all bulletproof. Use any soil media you like on either, but orchid mix is most expensive and least troublesome for problem plants and/or people.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I’ve put mine in a custom soil I made..
Containing- very well draining potting soil (just enough to hold a little moisture through the hot day and hot winds) pumice, lava rock, crushed quartz sand, pine bark, and akadama.. is this to much for it? My ficus microsarpa loves the soil..
I can post better pictures of the caudex in the morning, but this is normal for the leaves to do? It literally was green like the rest last night and then this afternoon it was yellow…seems like it changed really fast.. just making sure this is normal because this is my first one and if I’m caring for it correctly then I will definitely be getting more!!!

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh and I have been using dyna-gro bonsai pro fertilizer putting a 1/4 tsp liquid into a gallon of water and putting it into my haws watering can..is this fertilizer okay for it? I also have superfly bonsai fertilizer pellets. It has a high nitrogen tho, idk if that will help or not.
thanks to everyone for the support and information. I love this page lol

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Use one or the other fert at label strength.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks @Forsoothe!
So if your desert rose is Do you hydrated what do you do to correct that? Place it in the shade and continue to water or what?
You mean if it is dehydrated? It's summer, treat it as alive and sleeping. If it has been put into dormancy by your lack of watering it could take a while to snap out of it, but don't worry. Water normally, keep in full sun. Just got two from Bangkok...
DeR A4 & A2 arrive 061121.JPG
DR ebay A4 & A2 062621 potted.JPG
It'll take a few years to build a branch structure like this one...
DeR 20190222_161454.jpg
DeR 20190818_145637.jpg

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking rose!!
see I got mine from a nursery who had some and picked the best looking one, I checked out the caudex and watched a couple of Maria’s garden videos off YouTube lol! Also purchased these yesterday from another nursery because they looked wild as I’ve never seen desert roses that are so green and have so many leaves!

Attachments

• D8A5447A-003B-4327-83F6-C4CF3E0E1DB8.jpeg
    D8A5447A-003B-4327-83F6-C4CF3E0E1DB8.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 10
  • 6706BC23-E95E-443F-B7FE-697FF58832AA.jpeg
    6706BC23-E95E-443F-B7FE-697FF58832AA.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 10

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah my original pictures desert rose’s leaves are slowly all turning yellow and one spot on the caudex is soft, that’s what leads me to think dehydration but idk I’m a noob

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah my original pictures desert rose’s leaves are slowly all turning yellow and one spot on the caudex is soft, that’s what leads me to think dehydration but idk I’m a noob
Dehydration is really unlikely. Probably over watering in not enough sun.

Tiffinit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm..it’s in full sun now, and I wait until the soil is dry to water again. I’ll just have to keep experimenting with it!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Soft spots are very bad sign. How about a picture? And stop watering. This is a plant that will just park, not die if left unwatered.

Top Bottom