Desert Rose rot

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The short story is, I have a desert rose that has been struggling and weak since I got it almost a year ago. When I repotted it, I found rot, some of which extended into the main "trunk". I cut away the rot that easy to remove, but there were little tendrils of rot extending into healthy tissue that I couldn't remove without almost destroying it. Is there anything else I can do for it, or is it likely to be a goner?

The long story - I got it last summer very cheaply. It was in a plastic pot of potting soil and had been left out in rainy weather for some time. I repotted it into 100% napa oil-dry which was a mistake, I think. It never really did much of anything after I repotted. Winter came along and I figured it was probably just dormant. Now that the weather warmed up, it seemed to finally want to grow but was struggling - it would grow a few leaves and they would brown at the edges and slowly die. Finally I decided to repot again into something better - turned out the napa oil-dry was damp and sticky and clayish - perhaps they have changed it and don't fire the clay anymore. I removed it all, and some rotten roots. Some rot extended deep into the trunk and couldn't be removed. I repotted it into mostly pumice and waited 48 hrs to water it to let the wounds skin over. It's been a week now and its few little leaves continue to brown and slowly die back. The trunk itself is still firm and has picked up a healthy looking greenish tint. though. I've read mixed things about fungal infections in desert roses, but most seem to suggest they are goners if they get stem rot and this seems somewhat similar.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The short answer is no.

The long answer is you got problems. The rot is like cancer. If you remove most of the cancer, you still have cancer. You need to go in there with whatever tool will work. If you have recesses that a drill could reach, try that. Raw but clean cavities are OK. When the whole thing is cleansed of the rot, spray/dip all of the affected surfaces with a solution of 15 to 25% household bleach in water, rinse completely with clear water after 15 or 30 minutes, lay in the sun for a couple days, then pot it up in a shallow pot with the tops of the roots exposed in a standard bonsai mix.

Expect it to park and do nothing for up to a couple months. Let Mother Nature water it. Return to regular care when you see begin to grow again.

Do just some of this, and get just some of the results.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I followed the advice for treating it with bleach. The only things I didn't do was leave it outside. We have some rainy weather this time of year, so I put it in the greenhouse instead so it could be kept warm and dry. It's looking a lot better.
asummer 026.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good for you! Now, prune the tips to force some movement in the trunk/branches and to keep the top proportional to the base.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do just some of this, and get just some of the results.

I can attest to this as I had a very similar problem about 8 months ago... root rot from surface to surface contact on the bottom of the pot. I removed (not well enough) the rotted areas, and repotted the adenium.

It appeared have “found it’s legs” for about 2 months (comparatively), then the exact same problems began again.

So THAT time I quite aggressively removed the rotted/affected areas... Theeeen let it dry for less than 24hrs 🤦🏽‍♂️ (the first attempt, I dried for 3(ish) days)....

Sooooo...

I don’t have a Desert Rose anymore. ;)

But I believe if I would’ve “whole-assed” EITHER of my attempts to “correct” the damage.. my Adenium would still be “with us”.

I wish yours the best!!

“Whole-ass” it!

:)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine drops it's leaves in the winter. I water it very sparingly, until it starts leafing out in the spring. Then it goes outside and gets a good watering. It's blooming now.

Top Bottom