Desert Soil for Phoenix, AZ it's 100 f - 38 c

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anthony and @sorce Phoenix Bonsai Club meets again in Sept. My plan is to join and I will ask other long time members about the soil mixes on the website and will let you (and others here on BN) know what the verdict is. Thanks to both of you!
Taka

Here my thing...

To use the exact same soil as someone else....

Is saying you have the same work schedule.
Same mist system.
Same shade...
Same wind block.
Same trees...
At the same stage of refinement ..

Impossible yes?

I would say...

Watering three times a day is ideal.
(with soil capable of dealing with it of ...coarse!)

If you can't do that ...

Work your way back till your work schedule allows.
(if that includes a vacation within a year..cut the shit and get a watering system installed!)

I use DE because I can water once a day and never worry about death...

But when I get permanent....

That will change.

It's all about YOU....and YOUR trees...
YOUR yard...
YOUR microclimate...

No one else's!

Sorce

Jason Crump

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
@milehigh_7
Perfect. Pumice is expensive even on Amazon. DE, Lava, I can do. Will keep checking for cheaper Pumice. My DE pots seem to hold water so that's really good to know.
You're a cool dude Clyde. Thanks much.
Taka

For Pumice check out a farm supply store. They call it DryStall. There isn't as much wasted as with other materials when sifted. I think i paid $12-$15 for a large bag (not sure of size).

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
@Taka ,

I would love to know from Phoenix members you might visit -

[1] Does anyone use the soil mixes you originally posted ?

[2] How long they have been using it [ anyone with say 30 to 40 years experience ] ?
Any other comments ?

And how you do as time passes on.
Good Day
Anthony

In practice from what I have seen at PBS (Phoenix Bonsai Society) is inorganic use is very seldom. When it is, as mentioned in the quote from the site, it is typically an additive (I would say much less than 50%) somewhere in the area of 20% to add a little stability with water in the off chance watering gets missed or it is especially hot.

That being said, lava is very popular as is akadama and pumice. I use akadama and lava with a pumice add for my less water dependent trees. I will also fluctuate %s of akadama (higher percentages for my ficus and winged elms which can prefer a bit more water). My olives tend to love fairly heavy lava mixes as they dint not appreciate wet feet.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
@Taka the club has its first meeting tonight starting at 7. I will be there (I'll be the taller of the two young punks). I get most of my soil through the club. The prices are very reasonable and you are able to get high quality akadama and lava without paying the shipping (the real pricey part). I know @milehigh_7 and @AZbonsai are big DE fans, but I have yet to venture into that realm... maybe this fall with the repotting season just before our second growth push

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Taka the club has its first meeting tonight starting at 7. I will be there (I'll be the taller of the two young punks). I get most of my soil through the club. The prices are very reasonable and you are able to get high quality akadama and lava without paying the shipping (the real pricey part). I know @milehigh_7 and @AZbonsai are big DE fans, but I have yet to venture into that realm... maybe this fall with the repotting season just before our second growth push

Hey Ryan club website says meeting is at 7:30. Looking forward to it actually! Might want to let Taka know.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
@AZbonsai hey buddy, yeah it does they said meet and greet is at 7. Since Taka is new I figured he'd get the most out of registering and talking with folks. See ya tonight

Taka

Seedling
Reaction score
@Ryan H and @AZbonsai thanks very much for the invite and update to the Phoenix Bonsai Society meeting.
My oldest son lives 30 miles north of Houston. His home did not get hit. He's been volunteering and I flew down to help.
Flight to Ft Worth then we drove to Conroe, TX.
Am back in Gilbert Friday, 9/8.
Sorry I missed this meeting but am planning on being at the next.
Again, thanks much guys am looking forward to meeting you and the other members!

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AZbonsai hey buddy, yeah it does they said meet and greet is at 7. Since Taka is new I figured he'd get the most out of registering and talking with folks. See ya tonight
Hey Ryan saw you sitting up front for the bonsai meeting did not get a chance to say hi. Got caught in traffic. Some sweet olive trees. Doc really does some nice stuff! See you and Taka Wednesday for sure if you show up.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
@AZbonsai hey yeah man, sorry I missed you. Did you like my "show ready" olive :D. I loved people's reactions when they put it up there after those 40+ year trained trees lol. In all seriousness am still very happy with the progress after 6 months with them tho. See ya soon

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AZbonsai hey yeah man, sorry I missed you. Did you like my "show ready" olive :D. I loved people's reactions when they put it up there after those 40+ year trained trees lol. In all seriousness am still very happy with the progress after 6 months with them tho. See ya soon
I thought it held its own. Like what you did with the hornbeams as well! You are part of the new guard in that club. Some of those folks are getting up there in age. They need to train up the younger ones like they train their bonsai.

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I thought it held its own. Like what you did with the hornbeams as well! You are part of the new guard in that club. Some of those folks are getting up there in age. They need to train up the younger ones like they train their bonsai.
Totally agree, I'm excited to be pretty much the only active person currently working with hornbeams

Top Bottom