Deshojo help

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a grafted Deshojo in the ground. I sat it where I was going to plant it for 6 weeks , then planted it. no problems . I planned on airlayering next spring. It is about 18 inches tall. I was going to only airlayer one branch and let it grow to 6 feet. for more airlayers. To make a long story short, about 2 weeks ago here in Ohio, my leaves started curling up and browning. Now all the leaves are brown and look dead.. Do Deshojo's go dormant this early or is my tree dead??

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a grafted Deshojo in the ground. I sat it where I was going to plant it for 6 weeks , then planted it. no problems . I planned on airlayering next spring. It is about 18 inches tall. I was going to only airlayer one branch and let it grow to 6 feet. for more airlayers. To make a long story short, about 2 weeks ago here in Ohio, my leaves started curling up and browning. Now all the leaves are brown and look dead.. Do Deshojo's go dormant this early or is my tree dead??
I think some of the people here would request photos before they can make a comment but if they were burned by sun i would think it would still be alive. I have some deshojo that have no leaves already but i am in Mass. so not sure. But pics would def help.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You were going to do an air layer on an 18" tall tree? One of the branches on an 18" tall tree? I know you can air layer some pretty thin pieces of material, but I personally wouldn't attempt doing it on something so young. Others might though. At that age, you're probably better off trying propagation via cuttings instead. I have an Arakawa JM that's about 18" or 20" tall and was itself an air layer off a bigger tree. I wouldn't think of doing an air layer on such a small thing. Cuttings, yes. Air layers, no.

As for the burned leaves, yes, pics would be very helpful.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
AcerAddict, what was your experience with air layering the arakawa? Love the rough bark, but heard it may be difficult to propagate. Hope that's wrong.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see no problem with small air layers. They root much faster than large ones and the average bloke is much more assured of success than they are with cuttings.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Penumbra, sorry I responded to the wrong person. That's good to hear. Does it matter if the bark has corked already?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
AcerAddict, what was your experience with air layering the arakawa? Love the rough bark, but heard it may be difficult to propagate. Hope that's wrong.
I didn't create the air layer. I bought it from a seller on the 99-cent Bonsai Auctions group on Facebook. It'll be a while before I take air layers from it, if I even do that at all. It's a twin-trunk right now, and I may grow it out in that style.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see no problem with small air layers. They root much faster than large ones and the average bloke is much more assured of success than they are with cuttings.
You don't see a problem with it, but you're experienced. I'm sure you'd be fine. An 18" tall seedling has super thin branches. I'd worry about a novice attempting to cut two rings and peel the bark from a tree so thin. Very easy to cut too deep and lose the whole thing. Gotta learn somehow, I guess.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arakawa layers well. I layered a few young ones over the past years. No trouble, in the end all of them rooted over 1 growing season. I understand that even corked over they layer well.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You don't see a problem with it, but you're experienced. I'm sure you'd be fine. An 18" tall seedling has super thin branches. I'd worry about a novice attempting to cut two rings and peel the bark from a tree so thin. Very easy to cut too deep and lose the whole thing. Gotta learn somehow, I guess.
With very small layers I don't cut a ring. I just make a couple notches and it seems to work fine. I have not had small branches bridge, probably because they develop roots so much faster than larger layers.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
With very small layers I don't cut a ring. I just make a couple notches and it seems to work fine. I have not had small branches bridge, probably because they develop roots so much faster than larger layers.
I just scrape with a knife for very small ones.

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
Hard to see, but you can see that the leaves are small and crispy. definitely dead leaves..
Has anyone with a deshojo lost their leaves?

Attachments

• deshojo.JPG
    deshojo.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 47

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have several different JM. The only one with crispy leaves missed watering due to a plumbing mishap. We are frequently deluded by the belief that in the ground is better. But if the ground is dry or the plant is planted near large thirsty trees, the ground soil can literally pull the moisture out of the root ball. I think you maple got dry. It may be late enough in the season that it won't make a big difference, as it may have forced an early dormancy.
In any event, it needs the equivalent of at least an inch of rain at least twice a week in average soil. If the soil drains well that is. If it doesn't drain well the tree is in the wrong place.
Good luck, hope it is just experiencing early dormancy.

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
I have several different JM. The only one with crispy leaves missed watering due to a plumbing mishap. We are frequently deluded by the belief that in the ground is better. But if the ground is dry or the plant is planted near large thirsty trees, the ground soil can literally pull the moisture out of the root ball. I think you maple got dry. It may be late enough in the season that it won't make a big difference, as it may have forced an early dormancy.
In any event, it needs the equivalent of at least an inch of rain at least twice a week in average soil. If the soil drains well that is. If it doesn't drain well the tree is in the wrong place.
Good luck, hope it is just experiencing early dormancy.
It was near my picnic table full of ponsai that got watered when needed, so The deshojo got watered. I hope it's just dormancy.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
very likely dried out due to lack of water or a slight chance of just too hot. That does not mean it is dead though. If it was dried out for an extended period then yes it is probably gone. I have had a couple dry out and bounce right back. I don't know if this time of year is the best or worst time for this to happen though. Could be you just accelerated fall and it will bound back. Only times I have had it happen was in the summer where they had time to leaf back out.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It may well come back in the Spring, though it may have some die back.
I know there are many here who hate this, but I would do a little finger nail assisted surgery to look for a bit of green beneath the bark.

You might want to ask the tree first and explain your intentions. If it has an ounce of life in it, it will accept the probing.
Now you are asking yourself "Is he serious?"

Could be .................... but are you?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You ever post something and then go back reading it and wonder if you had a brain fart? o_O

Top Bottom