deshojo maple ?

Bonsai21

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this maple about a month ago. And have been staring at it for a month. Trying to figure out exactly where to go with this. The first pic is where I think the front would be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20131115_184733.jpg
    20131115_184733.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20131115_184704.jpg
    20131115_184704.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20131115_184643.jpg
    20131115_184643.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 20131115_184602.jpg
    20131115_184602.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 66

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gene, if I read you right, you are saying you want the trunk to be as it is thickness wise? If so, then I'd work on taper, as it is largely the same up to the top. It has several possibilities for a front, as the nebari is good from several angles. I don't like side #4...

If possible, could you take some photos from straight on against a plain background? It's a bit hard to see whats going on from the slightly overhead angle.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Gene, if I read you right, you are saying you want the trunk to be as it is thickness wise? If so, then I'd work on taper, as it is largely the same up to the top. It has several possibilities for a front, as the nebari is good from several angles. I don't like side #4...

If possible, could you take some photos from straight on against a plain background? It's a bit hard to see whats going on from the slightly overhead angle.

How are you going to do that?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How are you going to do that?
To do what please?
If you are saying how I would work on taper? I would like to see other photos of the tree before I go and shoot my mouth off about something I cannot see clearly enough if that is your point. There may be taper in the top, but it may not be visible with the camera angle.

jester_b

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
did you do the chop or did someone else?
how long ago?

could you possibly post a quick sketch on how you invision your tree?
maybe even draw out a 1:1 scale for your own refference.

I'm just tagging along for the discussion as I have no experience.
but I also feel it lacks taper and that the trunk was chopped too high.

Last edited:

Bonsai21

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll take some more pics when I get home. I prefer to keep it the around the same thickness, but I'm open to any suggestions. This tree doesn't have much taper as Judy had pointed out. I did not chop, this is exactly how I purchased the tree. I was goining to repot this spring as it seems pretty root bound and the soil is mostly organics. My plan was to just let it grow out, so I would have more options. But I would like to have an idea in my head of what I want to strive for.

jester_b

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in that case I think your still in the trunk stage .again I have no experience but perhaps this article can help.
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/trunks.htm
given you don't know when it was chopped last maybe someone with more experience like Mr. Wood can help advise when the tree could be cut back safely.
or even if that would be a good idea. if its not my seccond guess is wire up a new leader.

http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/propagation/grow-boxes-and-training-pots
here's another article on grow boxes. you might find useful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom