Deshojo or Shindeshojo?

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Hello everyone! I'd like to hear someone's opinion on which variety this bonsai of mine is. Is it a Deshojo or a Shindeshojo?
How can you tell the difference? I'm really having a hard time understanding what the characteristics are in terms of appearance and what was improved on the Shindeshojo. But first I'd like to know what it is! ;-)
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20160403-IMG_0802-sm.JPG
    20160403-IMG_0802-sm.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 195
  • 20160415_135309-sm.jpg
    20160415_135309-sm.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 20160429_154214-sm.jpg
    20160429_154214-sm.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 183

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a shitload of 5's!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 fives then you're pretty sure no one already took it :)
Thanks for the welcome!
Any idea of the species?

If it stays less than knee high....
It is Shin...deshojo?

Lol..haven't a clue.

I am in this camp of.....
If I gotta figure what cultivar it is....
It's gonna die on me anyway!

So I try to stick with....
If it's living, and it looks good...
It is a tree!

High Five x 5!

Sorce

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Of the two I'd say Deshojo. My Shindeshojo is a bit paler than my Deshojos, and the leaves fade faster to a more pastel colour. Leaves also become paler and seem to deteriorate more easily over the summer than Deshojos, which stay a mixture of red and green in my growing conditions.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Of the two I'd say Deshojo. My Shindeshojo is a bit paler than my Deshojos, and the leaves fade faster to a more pastel colour. Leaves also become paler and seem to deteriorate more easily over the summer than Deshojos, which stay a mixture of red and green in my growing conditions.
Thanks Tom! I'm also leaning toward a Deshojo. I'll continue my quest and try to understand what all the differences are.
Did you experience any disease with your Deshojos?
I read Walter Pall's post about his Deshojo slowly dying by a fungus. I hope that was just a bad combination of factors and not a common occurrence for this variety.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
No diseases noticed. Weak roots if not grafted onto regular palmatum rootstock - be careful with repotting - and susceptible to dieback after pruning, especially in spring. The Shindeshojo (which is in the ground not a pot) seems more prone to aborting weak shaded branches. Prone to attack by aphids, which go for the new growing tips and can cause significant damage (which looks a bit like frost damage). I should probably add that my Shindeshojo is in a location that gets a bit more sun than my Deshojos, which could account for some of the differences I mentioned.

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Tom for your tips!
I got it last year and repotted it this year. It was really happy in the new soil. Some leaves are huge. Still not adding any fertilizer.
I didn't have dieback after pruning yet and it's still half pruned. I'm trying to thicken some branches.
I don't think it was grafted, there are no scars that I can see. No aphids will be able to even touch the maple ;-)
I agree the sun makes a lot of difference on the color it takes and I think it's still very sensitive to the heat maybe because of the recent repotting. When the shoots were young they would bend as if the soil was all dried up after a day in full sun (the pot was kind of warm). So I keep it in the shades on sunny days.

Attachments

• 20160321_090433-sm.jpg
    20160321_090433-sm.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20160512_090836_HDR-sm.jpg
    20160512_090836_HDR-sm.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 182
Top Bottom