Deshojo / Red Maple Leaf Size Reduction

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am stunned that there has been all this major criticism of a pretty good tree that could look damn nice with foliage PDQ. Just because it's not a world-beater without leaves doesn't mean that it must have major changes! OP: Do you have a venue in which you will showcase this tree in winter key? If not, then come back to earth, everybody.

I'd like to see some trees posted that possess all these wonderful, perfect characteristics that this poor piece of shit tree is wanting, -by those people specifying all these "must do" steps that a person with somewhat limited skills "must do". Baloney. Keep it healthy and sneak up on changes. Be happy with a nice tree. The tree can evolve with the owner.
This one comes pretty close:

1BF0CB90-01B3-4125-B299-E3AFDA3A2508.jpeg

Now, I suppose one can settle for mediocrity, or take a risk and strive for greatness.

Life is but a series of choices.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
great thank you,
so something like this, with the blue circled branch becoming the new leader?
View attachment 278998

so would the trunk line be something like this in the end?
View attachment 278997

Yes, thats what I would do.
Its your tree, do what you are comfortable with- but always err on the side of caution.

You also need to decide if you want the tree to be the best it can be, or are happy with what the majority of people will think is a “cool” looking bonsai maple (or yourself).

It has quality, as is.

nobody said they have to do anything. He said he was open to design suggestions, so that what people gave him.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A vigorous discussion has ensued, a good thing. I believe that is what this forum is about, no?
To the owner, this is not a bad tree, as I suggested in my earlier post, it has nice bones.
Nothing I suggested was you have to do this, or that. I believe people post here for ideas, suggestions, guidance about how to better their trees. I look at trees posted on this site from the perspective of how to better the tree, and particularly 'If it were my tree..."
My suggestions are directed to several years from now. Where do you want to be with this nice tree 5 yrs from now?
Of all the posts that have ensued, I favor the chop proposed by AlainK. With this in mind, the chop would best take into account the nebari (and planting angle), which sets the overall movement of the tree. If the pictures you have posted represent the proposed front, do you want the tree's movement to right or left, take this into consideration if/when you build the new apex.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are 2 examples of my trees. The first is a deshojo, as in the subject of this thread. Chopped, and top built over last 5 years. Nebari is good, trunk taper, movement and direction established. Major branches established. However, taper is lost on top 1/3 of tree. I could leave upper trunk as is, and have a pretty tree in leaf. Yet, it can be improved, and therefore I plan to do something similar as I proposed earlier. Tree will get shorter, and look odd for a while.

44AADF49-E19D-418C-97AA-5E5FBE1F0CF8.jpeg
Next is an arakawa, older and further along. The movement and taper of the apex has been more successful. Sequential sacrifice leaders used to build the top 1/2 of tree, with better taper. Last leader 4’, which will be reduced in spring. Ultimate height about top of picture. From here, branches will be further developed. Sometime in next couple of years tree will be ready for a pot.
A0C6CFA5-E2E7-4063-B9CB-BB2B93DDFE6C.jpeg

Top Bottom