Deshojo repotting and trunk chop.

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, this is a maple that I have been working on since 2018.
It comes from an air layer that I did in 2018 and since then I have only worked the roots and I have let the aerial part grow like crazy.
As it already has a trunk thick enough for what I want (shohin) I have choped it and I am praying that it sprouts to select a new apex (before it was a straight trunk without movement) and gain taper. Since I separated the layer I have nailed it to a wooden board so that the roots grew to the sides.
(sorry, english is not my mother language)
And now the pics:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Comments are wellcome!

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Beautiful roots! Got my fingers crossed. Looks good so far and you did good by putting it in a large grow box.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Peter Chan on YouTube is all about air layering and Deshojo is one of his main cultivars. There are some good segments on layering on his channel Herons Bonsai. Also there are some lists on this site of Cultivars that grow from cuttings and I think all that grow from cuttings can also be air layered though I don't have the experience needed to swear by that.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I find that boards are not needed with layers. The new tree already has a great lateral root system and rarely grows lots of down roots.

Look forward to seeing what new shoots you get to work with this summer.

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when reppoting i noticed that there is a root that grows lower (see pic). Should i let it grow more than the others to enlarge untill its upper part gets into nebari?
root.jpg

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work! Have you thought of broom style for this guy?
thanks! i was thinking in informal upright (moyogi) but still not sure...Broom style could be a possible style depending of the new shoots....

Joe_B

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here to clarify my own question: Is late winter before buds swell the best time to trunk chop Maples?

deadcs

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here to clarify my own question: Is late winter before buds swell the best time to trunk chop Maples?
I`m not an expert but i have read that late winter or early spring is the best time to make big chops, becouse it has an entire growing season to heal.
Let`s see if any other can explain it...

Top Bottom