deshojo seedling

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all,

I took some cuttings when repotting my deshojo early March.

Unfortunately only one of them survived. It is due to laziness planted in poor soil, as in regular potting soil.

The buds are starting to break, and now I wonder if I should repot/uppot or not in decent bonsai soil mix.

Or should I wait till next spring, taking into account that it seems quite happy in its actual soil - for now at least?

Tnx!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you confirmed it actually rooted? I would not disturb the cutting for at least one season.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you confirmed it actually rooted? I would not disturb the cutting for at least one season.
While all others became fragile and dark with no sign of life, this one opened buds and looks healthy. Indeed probably best to let it grow until next spring.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
While all others became fragile and dark with no sign of life, this one opened buds and looks healthy. Indeed probably best to let it grow until next spring.
Branches can store enough energy to break buds without roots. But once that energy has been consumed the branch will die if it hasn't rooted. To confirm you can "lightly" pull on the cutting. If it resists being pulled out you can be sure it has rooted. As long as the current substrate doe not stay wet when watered you will be ok.

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Branches can store enough energy to break buds without roots. But once that energy has been consumed the branch will die if it hasn't rooted. To confirm you can "lightly" pull on the cutting. If it resists being pulled out you can be sure it has rooted. As long as the current substrate doe not stay wet when watered you will be ok.
Bit scared of pulling this seedling. Is there no risk of damaging the most likely still fine and weak roots that way?

My problem is indeed that the current soil stays way too wet. That is why I considered a repot. I will add a pic asap.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bit scared of pulling this seedling. Is there no risk of damaging the most likely still fine and weak roots that way?

My problem is indeed that the current soil stays way too wet. That is why I considered a repot. I will add a pic asap.
Just gently pull on it, if it comes out you know it doesn't have roots. If it resists and takes a bit of effort to pull out then it has rooted.

If it's staying to wet.......water it less often.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If there was no seed involved, its not a seedling. Sapling maybe
Its just a cutting of a deshojo, if it roots it will grow up to be a regular deshojo. Its a clone
Just to prevent confusion

Top Bottom