Design direction - Deadwood on Bald Cypress

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think I should cut that long straight upward trunk?
Any suggestions on design direction of this BC with deadwood?

Thanks,
DT3S

Attachments

• 20230212_140409.jpg
    20230212_140409.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 80

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cut it now, or watch it rot away. Old growth cypress is very decay resistant, but young cypress trees ........and by young I mean less than about 400 years old............rot at about the rate of white pine. It might be fun to have the deadwood age away naturally keeping in mind its eventual demise in the design.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any suggestions on design direction of this BC with deadwood?

Thanks,
DT3S
There’s always hollowing out the deadwood and the top. Old hollowed out gnarley BC look pretty sweet
E7171C8C-393E-4D4D-8274-F708E762D0E7.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would cut that long straight live section. It is almost as long as the lower trunk and no real taper so just doesn't fit with the nice lower trunk. That new section probably needed to grow that long to help thicken the new section. Now that it is well established, time to chop again.
I'd probably cut around the same height as the top of the jin, maybe a fraction lower? and rebuild the apex more slowly this time.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would cut that long straight live section. It is almost as long as the lower trunk and no real taper so just doesn't fit with the nice lower trunk. That new section probably needed to grow that long to help thicken the new section. Now that it is well established, time to chop again.
I'd probably cut around the same height as the top of the jin, maybe a fraction lower? and rebuild the apex more slowly this time.
Agree. I would cut just above the lower branches and rebuild the apex. Also be aware that you have too many side branches below at the same height. That will cause a reverse taper soon.

DT3s

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I think that's what I'll do.

Top Bottom