Design: Golden Mean Case Study #1

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is a classic bonsai, and two alternative designs. Discuss.

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

1_3.jpg

Almost anything I say at this point would lead the discussion, so I prefer to say nothing at all until I give people the opportunity to comment.

Last edited:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is going to be a very subjective comment as I don't have time right now to do any numerical analysis. With that said...and not knowing which of these is the actual bonsai and which 2 are the modifications, image 2 seems best to me. The length of the cascading canopy seems right in some way. Image 1 looks too short, perhaps because of the width of the bottom of the pad - maybe if that was made narrower (increase the "taper" of the cascading foliage mass) it would also seem right. The tail on number 3 seems too long.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
BNut,

If I was to try to get more foliage on this tree, I would like to get it on the left of the trunk, somewhere below the first hollow on the left side of the left most lifeline.

Regards,
Martin

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really don't know much of anything about the golden mean,... but just from my taste, I prefer either 1 or 2. I would tend to lean towards image 1, but I can see balance in 2.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is going to be a very subjective comment as I don't have time right now to do any numerical analysis. With that said...and not knowing which of these is the actual bonsai and which 2 are the modifications, image 2 seems best to me. The length of the cascading canopy seems right in some way. Image 1 looks too short, perhaps because of the width of the bottom of the pad - maybe if that was made narrower (increase the "taper" of the cascading foliage mass) it would also seem right. The tail on number 3 seems too long.

No numbers, please! Just your "gut" impression of the three designs.

One thing that I am finding, is that is is very hard to do an "apples to apples" comparison of three trees, because the stands, pots, planting position and angle, were all created with the one design in mind. I am worried that these aspects will tilt the design comments in one direction or the other. However I am trying to get to a point where everyone says all three designs would be amazing bonsai - but each one gives a slightly different impression.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No numbers, please! Just your "gut" impression of the three designs.

One thing that I am finding, is that is is very hard to do an "apples to apples" comparison of three trees, because the stands, pots, planting position and angle, were all created with the one design in mind. I am worried that these aspects will tilt the design comments in one direction or the other. However I am trying to get to a point where everyone says all three designs would be amazing bonsai - but each one gives a slightly different impression.

?? I have to confess that I no longer know (or think I know) what you're trying to accomplish.

I thought you were making modifications that would either move the design toward or away from some kind of golden mean/ratio/spiral/whatever to try and convey the importance of the concept in bonsai. Now you're saying that you want everyone to say all the designs would be amazing bonsai. Well, sure, I'll take any one of the above trees!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My initial impression was the same as COH's: I find the second version the most aesthetically pleasing. The third just seems to tail off too long, with a little too mathematically decreasing size and spacing. The first seems to stop too abruptly.
Oliver

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The first image has more of a spiral relationship with itself while the other two start with the spiral but following it to the end of the growth it becomes angular.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a good trial run for the other examples I am planning. How about this? Is it easier to evaluate the designs if I block out the pot and stand?

1_1a.jpg

1_2a.jpg

1_3a.jpg

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the first image best because it portrays an impression of strength more than the other two. The third is a very nice duck.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
#1 Feels young, unfinished, and too round, thus the young feel. Not enough foliage for the deadwood. Unbalanced, weak, feminine.
#2 Feels like a well rounded tree. The eye travels from one portion to the next finding it difficult to come to rest. Balanced, peaceful, harmonious
#3 Feels old and disproportionate. The tail is too long drawing the eye unnaturally to a different place. Unbalanced, strong, masculine.

Hope this is what you meant by doing an apples to apples compare.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No.2 but I find the canopy too dense and could be a little more irregular / movement.
The driftwood is also too fussy near the top.
Though I saw neither the pot or the stand, which is excellent, the monkey dragons, going into green water cave, is very distracting.

No.1 the canopy is missing length and No.3 has too much lower canopy, looks like steps.
No.1 also has a sense of being a square.
Good Day
Anthony

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find 2 to be the magical tree. The cascading section of the canopy, unconventional in all three trees, looks best in tree 2.

Reaction score
Option 2 and 3 let the eye flow away from the trunk. 1 is more powerfull, the trunk is not dynamic anough for a long branch.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Traditionalist kep says one

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The comments seem to show that we all have different tastes? One observation that I have is that the "feeling" (IMHO) from this type of classic design is that the foliage is too perfect (young in appearance) for the battered trunk?
G

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
The comments seem to show that we all have different tastes? One observation that I have is that the "feeling" (IMHO) from this type of classic design is that the foliage is too perfect (young in appearance) for the battered trunk?
G

I hadn't thought of it that way but its precisely correct. The foliage is too "perfect" for the trunk doesn't show the signs of age and wear by the elements vs the aged and weather stricken trunk.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
G

I think that's part of the reason I like the first one, beat the duck around the head with the storm of the century for a while and you might end up with tree #1.

Top Bottom