Design needed for this California juniper

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I obtained this one 1 1/2 year ago. The previous owner probably didn't see its potential, so that he left it in the jungle of common trees! It has only one 3/4" live vein. What is your thinking about its final style should be? Thanks. Bonhe

p/s: the live vein can be seen in the left side of the trunk

Attachments

• DSC_0829.jpg
    DSC_0829.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0826.jpg
    DSC_0826.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0827.jpg
    DSC_0827.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 193

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
It has potential for sure and you actually have enough foliage to do something decent with the top. I would take it slow if you can. I once had a collected juniper sorta of like this one. It had one live vein as well but it completely busted off the trunk when wiring. I still think the tree was super glued because I hardly bent the darn thing! Now I have a nice piece of dead wood for tanuki, yea!!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tiberious, sorry for your loss, but we learn from the mistake, right?

I don't think I can bend the trunk this big, but I have other way to solve the problem. Any other suggestion? Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice California juniper there Bonhe! That's a good thick live vein! Why don't you clean up all the junky foliage in between the crotches of the branches first and submit us another picture? I think a cool literati style tree is in order here. Are you thinking of splitting the live vein out and down?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, you read my mind. I will split the live vein and bring the top down. Can you make your sketch?and I'll let you see mine :p
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are 2 sketches. I prefer the 1st one.
Bonhe

Attachments

• img227.jpg
    img227.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 59
  • img230.jpg
    img230.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 45

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll take the tree if you don't want it :) Here's a virt to consider...

caljuni_01.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another option.
Thanks Bonsainut.
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tilt it a little more to the right, plant it in a nice drum pot, and take it to a show :)

caljuni_02.jpg

(It's not the best pot, but you get the idea)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi bonsainut, your virt is really nice. Thanks. Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi bonsainut, your virt is really nice. Thanks. Bonhe

Thanks. I think this tree has a lot of potential without too much work. You just need to let the line of the live bark guide your design. If you ignore the deadwood you can see what a beautiful, graceful line you can create - sinuous and yet balanced. A little light scrubbing to bring out the red in the live bark and this tree would really pop. I think all the branches are there (at least they appear to be so in the photo).

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I think this tree has a lot of potential without too much work. You just need to let the line of the live bark guide your design. If you ignore the deadwood you can see what a beautiful, graceful line you can create - sinuous and yet balanced. A little light scrubbing to bring out the red in the live bark and this tree would really pop. I think all the branches are there (at least they appear to be so in the photo).

Your plan sounds good to me because it doesn't risk the tree life and it's more simple. I intended to split the live vein, then bring the top down and go behind the dead wood from right to left and go forward which may result in the death of the tree? Thank you. Bonhe

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In this case, I don't think it would be necessary. You have a nice strong branch that can be brought down (carefully) for the descending line. After that it is all detail work.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonsainut,
I may go with your plan, but will use just a few secondary branches (I like to see wide negative space between the branches). Will make a sketch later on. Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes. It's too green right now and looks like a Christmas Tree. I was trying to focus on the shape - it will definitely require more detail work.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe and bonsainut, your designs are both very pretty, but still a bit too abstract. I agree with the direction of the apex though. I think it should point to the right side too. To me, the stance of this tree, as it is presented, is not so balanced. The planting angle needs to change a bit. I see 2 possibilities. Here are my sketches of how I see it. I prefer sketch A more, because of the direction of the apex , in relation to the sweep ot the root base.
BTW, I would suggest removing the berries now too.
Good luck with it Bonhe!
Si

Attachments

• bonhe's cali juniper.jpg
    bonhe's cali juniper.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 74

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your sketches are excellent Si. You should contribute more to this site when you could Si. Yes, sketch A is good, but B is not bad at all. I have so many ways to go with this tree. Thanks Si and Bonsainut.

You know what, I want to keep berries to give them a try later on :)
Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, yes you still have other options, like going crazy with the branch placements for an unconventional bunjin style. I sketched a very traditonal style for you because I know that's what you might like. I have seen some very cool ways people have treated the branch and foliage pads location, in ways you would never expect. Truly mind blowing! I think Uyen Truong can do magic with just a branch or two like this. But the trunk is straight so you could only lean it a bit to one side or another. It has to be an informal upright style.
About the berries, don't bother eating them, because you'd have to cure them for a long time, almost like for olives, before they are edible. I hope you are not thinking about trying to grow seedlings from them? That would be a big waste of time.
Have fun with it!
Si

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
OK Bonhe, here's another sketch. This is what I would do with it. You might have to grow it a bit longer though.
Si

Attachments

• bonhe's cali juniper bunjin.jpg
    bonhe's cali juniper bunjin.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom