design review and reducing large root on old korean hornbeam

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This tree has not been repotted for 6 or 7 yrs. It grew wild with sporadic pruning and lots of inattention during the last 4 or so yrs. Last year it grew well and due to its large container did not suffer as much some other of my trees from sporadic watering. I plan on repotting next spring. This year it will be on a regular schedule of liquid fish emulsion and organic fert as I'm looking to push growth to develop branches. With new benches and automatic watering (for when I'm away) this tree (along with the rest of my collection) will be getting lots of attention and appropriate care.

Root: Aside from building branches and repotting next year the other thing i'd like to address on this tree is to reduce the large root to the left of the base of this tree. I may wait till I inspect the rootball next year but I was also considering slowly beginning to peel some of the cambium layer away on that root to begin to reduce flow from there to the canopy. I figured since the canopy is so reduced at this time it might be a good idea?

Wondering if anyone can speak to this or give some experience based advice.

Design: Also I have been staring at these same trees of mine so long that obvious design issues might be invisible to me at this point. Fresh eyes are sometimes a good thing. In terms of basic branch development the main issues I see are

1. The main branch at left needs new bud or graft to break up the straight section.
2. The secondary trunk does not have a normal apex it died off some years back.. It seems ok to me with the flowing branches going to the right. but perhaps a new apex might help the overall design. ?? I could graft one on. ( hopefully some of the cuttings I've taken will strike!)
3. The tertiary trunk is a thread graft I made to shorten what was a much longer tertiary trunk section this used to have ( see below pic). At this time I can't decide wether to thicken the long shoot there and build ramification from it or to use the three small shoots at the base and develop those into small the branches and develop ramification from there. Sometimes I think the design would be best with the apex of the tertiary trunk tight to the tree and a cascading branch( see below image)

Thanks in advance.

Joel

current
IMG_5384.JPG

Here is a picture from before the last repot maybe 6 yrs ago. with an apex on the secondary trunk and a much longer tertiary trunk. I think the sharpie mark is where i did the thread graft. Its a bummer to see how no progress was made over such long time. 102-0243_IMG_2 2.JPG

I am using this image as inspiration of sorts I just found it on pinterest and I like the cascading branch on the tertiary trunk I my try and incorporate that element into my design.

IMG_5432.PNG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting old tree. I love KH. I’d be concerned removing that root may leave a scar that will never heal...front center. It looks like it has some rot already going on, so it’s hard to say what impact removing the root will have on the overall health.
14B3FAE0-5CC6-49C5-B107-EE77AB3B3FAC.jpeg
Can you change the planting angle by tilting it forward just a bit so the root is buried a little more? If it was mine, I’d probably not remove it.

Top Bottom