Developing a chop

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I admit I haven't researched this so I don't know if there is some kind of "earn your stripes" as it applies to putting a chop on a pot. However I started my first pottery class last night and the whole intent is to produce my own pots. I figure rather than scrawling my name on the things I make, and my end goal is pots, then a chop is in order.

I got to thinking about my personality, and since ferrets are a part of my life, I'd use that as a starting point. I couldn't find a specific Japanese character for ferret, but in researching folklore, it seems they are lumped in with weasels. Weasels have a fine tradition and a couple of their own characters. I also found a simplified version of a character string to describe the pronunciation "feretto".
Capture.JPG

By combining these characters into a visually pleasing arrangement, I got this:chop.jpg

To me it seems to even look like a serpentine ferret at play. Next step will be to make a stamp for the pottery.

Last edited:

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My Wife had a ferret. Escaped through the dog door one day. Never seen again. That thing was a thief. Took everything thing it could carry and hid it behind my Entertainment Center. Took my Keychain one day. Knew exactly where to find it--- after some thought. She had cats and dogs as well. Interesting interactions. I kinda liked that there thief.

So I applaud your choice for that chop. Looks nice.

I was just starting to research pottery. Interested to find out the process. Even if I didn't find time to participate. Was looking for a book for my Kindle.Pottery 101 or something. Any suggestions?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I.'ve never really gave any thought to what a chop is or is not. I assumed the symbols were letters like the initials of the potter or his business name?

ed

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I.'ve never really gave any thought to what a chop is or is not. I assumed the symbols were letters like the initials of the potter or his business name?

ed

Yes Ed,
Thats what they are. Although rearranged in an artistic pattern.He just chooses to rearrange the letters for the word ferret for his signature. Thus becomes his chop.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Wife had a ferret. Escaped through the dog door one day. Never seen again. That thing was a thief. Took everything thing it could carry and hid it behind my Entertainment Center. Took my Keychain one day. Knew exactly where to find it--- after some thought. She had cats and dogs as well. Interesting interactions. I kinda liked that there thief.

So I applaud your choice for that chop. Looks nice.

I was just starting to research pottery. Interested to find out the process. Even if I didn't find time to participate. Was looking for a book for my Kindle.Pottery 101 or something. Any suggestions?

Qwade,

A good read. http://www.ikerbonsaipots.com/getting-started-in-ceramics/

Jab,

Great idea! I may get a ferret soon!

Sorce

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I must admit, first reading the thread title, I expected to find a trunk chop progression photo series or something similar. :)

I'm glad to see people develop an interest in pottery based on their interest in bonsai. I know that I've also had this feeling. In the past, I have also looked into getting into semi-professional pottery, but at the time found my finances lacking. Currently it's more a lack of time/space issue. I hope that some day in the future, maybe after moving into a larger home, I may have time to pursue it further.

Out of curiosity, have you decided what kind of pottery you plan to make (i.e. earthenware, stoneware, cone 6/10, etc.), or are you still feeling that out? Will you be renting kiln space or buying your own?

Top Bottom