Developing a large Willow Leaf Ficus

WOOB

Sapling
Reaction score
Really nice. I have one crappy little one. It does fine all summer, then I bring it in and it gets pissed of and drops all of it's leaves. It sits like a dead stick for months. Just when I think "good, I can just add this to the burn pile", it starts growing. Ugh, frustrating.
I don't know were you keep it in the winter? I have found a shower in the SHOWER once a week helps a lot also I leaf prune it in the fall be for I bring it in letting the light into it as much as possible over the winter

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Beto. Yes, but nerifolia are my favorite ficus. Virens and Microcarpa work better as larger bonsai, in my opinion.

S
Hi Scott. I’m looking a large training pot larger than 12” to develop radial roots. All I found nearby was a 15” terracota saucer at Lowes. Gotta drill holes. I think that will do for now.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't know were you keep it in the winter? I have found a shower in the SHOWER once a week helps a lot also I leaf prune it in the fall be for I bring it in letting the light into it as much as possible over the winter

Hi WOOB - I think you’re on the right track. I think most folks struggle with getting these trees enough light over the winter. Thinning the outer canopy is really helpful, but these trees really need a lot of light - just setting them in front of the window is probably not nearly enough. I thin and put them in the brightest spot in my greenhouse and they do just fine all winter. If you keep them indoors, a really good indoor setup with artificial lighting is a must, in my opinion. I have to use lighting in the darker parts of my greenhouse and have been really happy with this LED system:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XBYHORY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott. I’m looking a large training pot larger than 12” to develop radial roots. All I found nearby was a 15” terracota saucer at Lowes. Gotta drill holes. I think that will do for now.

Hi Beto - my training “pots” are a combination of Anderson flats and cedar boxes I build.

S

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely needs repotting, Beto. Watch those circling roots

S
I know. I thinned a little to let air and sunlight to get inside the canopy. I’m surprised how fast it’s growing up. I like the red shoots ! I’ll look into it next week. By the way, Happy Father’s Day Scott !

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Way past due for a haircut. Actually, right in time. I like my trees in developing to look a bit overgrown when I start work.

3F5FB28E-919C-4584-8EA2-9F118DEFDA2D.jpeg

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Summer work involves cut back to growing shoots, shoot selection, and partial defoliation by removing old leaves. Growing shoots are allowed to extend, but old leaves on growing shoots are removed.

2E2B819E-93D3-416D-BEA2-B578FB50E13A.jpeg

S

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Summer work involves cut back to growing shoots, shoot selection, and partial defoliation by removing old leaves. Growing shoots are allowed to extend, but old leaves on growing shoots are removed.

View attachment 200738

S
Man making the mess in the kitchen too! Bet your wife loves that haha. It would be easier to work outside if I had a nice spot but it’s unbearably hot anyway so inside is nicer lol, I imagine it’s the same for you.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Man making the mess in the kitchen too! Bet your wife loves that haha. It would be easier to work outside if I had a nice spot but it’s unbearably hot anyway so inside is nicer lol, I imagine it’s the same for you.

AND it’s closer to the kegerator!

I’m just lucky to have an understanding wife.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Definitely ready for a repot.

6B209B4A-A461-454A-B3A9-5A95DDF4857A.jpeg

Pot is full with roots coming out of the drainage hole. Larger roots beginning to encircle the pot.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First, work on the bottom. Get it flat. Remove any downward growing roots and eliminate larger roots.

2D0F6172-141E-4B2C-BC5B-684FA6C99C3D.jpeg5B65CE07-8253-492C-B870-3659666AD6B0.jpeg

S

Top Bottom