Developing a shohin Ume

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is an Ume seedling I purchased from Brent maybe 8 years ago. Between MA and GA, it's spent maybe 4 years in the ground. It came out of the ground for the last time this past spring. It's got a 3 " base and is about 6" tall where the trunk splits. Going forward, I've got to carve the deadwood in the front of the trunk. A bigger issue will be to get some buds lower down on the trunk. I'm thinking of a hard cut back late this winter. The alternative is to do thread grafts.
IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1079.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No need to thread graft. Regular grafts work well. A whip long enough to thread graft would produce lots of scions.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a similar one that I got from Brent, but maybe 5 years ago. Not quite as large as yours, but getting there. Probably overdue for a dig/root work, but I think I need to chop it first in the spring, then dig in another year. I'll be watching this one.

Has it bloomed? Mine hasn't, might be too cold here in the spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No need to thread graft. Regular grafts work well. A whip long enough to thread graft would produce lots of scions.
Thanks Adair. I'm assuming you're referring to bud grafting? I've never done those before. I guess it would be similar to bud grafting on JBP? I'm still likely to thread graft this one as I'm wanting a steep angle on the emerging branch.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a similar one that I got from Brent, but maybe 5 years ago. Not quite as large as yours, but getting there. Probably overdue for a dig/root work, but I think I need to chop it first in the spring, then dig in another year. I'll be watching this one.

Has it bloomed? Mine hasn't, might be too cold here in the spring.
It's brother, which has been in the ground for the last 5 years, has flowered very sporadically....it gets chopped back frequently. This one hasn't flowered yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, not really bud grafts, small scions. On little twigs.

image.jpeg

The scions were 2 to 3 inches long.

That's Boon's plumb tree. We grafted Ume on it! lol!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've got a similar one that I got from Brent, but maybe 5 years ago.
Me too, it hasn't bloomed either. Been in the ground until this year. Chopped once, and it's about 8' tall right now. Definitely not a boring trunk, but still needs some time to grow.

Dave, yours has plenty of potential, great taper; look forward to seeing this one develop over the next few years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 162

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
So Adair, you are referring to using a scion like jbp? I'm just checking for my own knowledge. I've never tried that with a deciduous tree. How well do they take?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You do it when they're still dormant, but will be waking up soon. So, no leaves.

Cut your scions so that they're two to three inches long, making sure there are at least two buds. From a 12 inch long whip, you could make 3 or 4 scions.

Then cut the scion in the V shape just like a pine. Then cut the stock. Insert the scion so that the cambium me line up. It will be off center because the scion is smaller. Wrap with grafting tape. Put a little dab of the putty cut paste in the newly created crotch.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why should I be sorry you thread grafted? Looks great Dave!

Top Bottom