Developing an apex...I am clueless as to what is needed done to do this correctly

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am totally CLUELESS as to how to wire the top of this cutting...can anyone advise me on a direction to take before the branches harden off.

imagejpg1_zps9362a86b.jpg

imagejpg3_zps8ce84f6b.jpg

imagejpg4_zps64a6d4fd.jpg

What I feel is the back side do to the scar...
imagejpg5_zpsd4df57de.jpg

imagejpg6_zps7d257e61.jpg

Size comparison...
imagejpg6_zps05fd3406.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the only thing I am coming up with...but, unsure if it's the correct way to do it. Since this isn't going to be a weeping style.
A good rule of thumb is to find a single line through to your "proposed" apex. In looking at this specimen, I see a chop and a leader coming off it that's thickened up some, then a shoot off it it that's thinner, then one coming off that one that's thinner. Wire up through this set of shoots and introduce some movement that looks natural.

Notice I said "proposed" apex. As the top of your tree grows, you may need to cut back to a new leader from time to time. But if you use the same approach as when you started out, in time you should have a good tapering transition and movement through to the very tip of your tree. Depending on how fast the species grows, you can have a nice result in just a few years.

Good luck with it.

Zach

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine i would not be expecting to keep the growth you marked anyways. I would be thinking to let it run to thicken the area just below, then chop it again after a season or two. If the base allows i would also consider tilting hard left as an angle change due to the shape of the current chop site.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Much appreciated...So instead of wiring down...I want to create movement going up. If I am reading this right...it's a Bougainvillea...sorry I didn't say that outright.

So wire up with movement...;) thanks! Was so clueless since it's a cutting and raw stock waiting to be worked. I've not developed from this point...

Grow and clip...allow to thicken to desire thickness before clipping? Or no...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it were mine i would not be expecting to keep the growth you marked anyways. I would be thinking to let it run to thicken the area just below, then chop it again after a season or two. If the base allows i would also consider tilting hard left as an angle change due to the shape of the current chop site.

The base...has a bit of a flare the way it sits now...to tilt it I would lose that. Food for thought though, since I am totally clueless. I know I was advised to lightly wire the branches in the direction I want them. But...am so not sure how to go about developing something from what I have.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much appreciated...So instead of wiring down...I want to create movement going up. If I am reading this right...it's a Bougainvillea...sorry I didn't say that outright.

So wire up with movement...;) thanks! Was so clueless since it's a cutting and raw stock waiting to be worked. I've not developed from this point...

Grow and clip...allow to thicken to desire thickness before clipping? Or no...
Yes, you basically have a stump to work with and you have to grow the entire top of the tree. Depending on how tall you want it to be, you may end up growing the whole tree from the ground up! If you're going for a short, stout specimen, you'll need to control and direct the growth in the lower section while you get your apex to the thickness you desire by allowing more uncontrolled growth in that section. It just depends.

Zach

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, you basically have a stump to work with and you have to grow the entire top of the tree. Depending on how tall you want it to be, you may end up growing the whole tree from the ground up! If you're going for a short, stout specimen, you'll need to control and direct the growth in the lower section while you get your apex to the thickness you desire by allowing more uncontrolled growth in that section. It just depends.

Zach

Not wanting an extremely tall one. I believe I want a short,stout specimen. I don't want a leggy top. That is my fear...no problem with it allowing it to run wild. Just want to make sure I get the main branches in the direction they need. That top with the leader left on top confuses me as to the direction to take the ones branching off of it.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not wanting an extremely tall one. I believe I want a short,stout specimen. I don't want a leggy top. That is my fear...no problem with it allowing it to run wild. Just want to make sure I get the main branches in the direction they need. That top with the leader left on top confuses me as to the direction to take the ones branching off of it.
It's not likely those branches currently coming off your leader will remain throughout development of the top. Your main goal right now is to grow heft into your tapering transition from the top, and clip and grow that transition properly. You can focus on developing the branching in your apex at a later date. In practice it's hard to do both those things at the same time, because you never know how many or which side branches in your apex will try to take over. Often you have to take one or more completely off because it just gets too thick. But no problem, you'll get all the buds you need and can choose the branches in your apex when you need to.

Zach

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's not likely those branches currently coming off your leader will remain throughout development of the top. Your main goal right now is to grow heft into your tapering transition from the top, and clip and grow that transition properly. You can focus on developing the branching in your apex at a later date. In practice it's hard to do both those things at the same time, because you never know how many or which side branches in your apex will try to take over. Often you have to take one or more completely off because it just gets too thick. But no problem, you'll get all the buds you need and can choose the branches in your apex when you need to.

Zach

So it's good to know...that I really don't need to over stress the top as I was. For most won't be in the final styling. I'll keep an eye on the lower branches...and adding movement. Thanks for explaining...much appreciated.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
So it's good to know...that I really don't need to over stress the top as I was. For most won't be in the final styling. I'll keep an eye on the lower branches...and adding movement. Thanks for explaining...much appreciated.

hi darlene

the little guy is looking good. concerning your apex plan. use your last picture. wire the right branch at the top of the main trunk down. wire the small branch at top left down. shorten the strong growing branch top right to retard its dominant energy then allow all 3 to grow out. the stem above the main trunk will thicken quickly. for now, you have a top resembling a triangle. the goal is to develop a thick canopy just over the main trunk. this will enhance the image of a short powerful tree and hide the scar. so, look for a strong shoot growing off the right of the upper main stem-somewhere between the temporary apex branch and the right branch you wired down (top of the main trunk). if you get strong growth in the right place, cut everything above it and grow out for a short dense top.

sam

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hi darlene

the little guy is looking good. concerning your apex plan. use your last picture. wire the right branch at the top of the main trunk down. wire the small branch at top left down. shorten the strong growing branch top right to retard its dominant energy then allow all 3 to grow out. the stem above the main trunk will thicken quickly. for now, you have a top resembling a triangle. the goal is to develop a thick canopy just over the main trunk. this will enhance the image of a short powerful tree and hide the scar. so, look for a strong shoot growing off the right of the upper main stem-somewhere between the temporary apex branch and the right branch you wired down (top of the main trunk). if you get strong growth in the right place, cut everything above it and grow out for a short dense top.

sam

Thanks again Sam :eek: Love my Bougies :eek: So is this what your meaning? Used two colors to the leader I think you want me to chop. How short should it be? Red or blue line?

imagejpg1_zps0e3f83b4.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene, you will need to keep an ye on the lower branches. They all come out around the trunk at basically the same level which may cause a reverse taper there in time.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Darlene how long ago was that chopped? The wound wood looks almost like its starting to rot and there is such limited growth there. I know these usually grow fast. Another thing you are right about wiring it before it gets too hard, the green branches are all you can reliably bend every time. When they lose the green they may bend or may just snap.

ed

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks again Sam :eek: Love my Bougies :eek: So is this what your meaning? Used two colors to the leader I think you want me to chop. How short should it be? Red or blue line?

imagejpg1_zps0e3f83b4.jpg

go with the blue line. for the branches, wire and bend downward about 45 degrees from the point of attachment. your green lines look too droopy. what you want to end up with is a triangle at the top.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
go with the blue line. for the branches, wire and bend downward about 45 degrees from the point of attachment. your green lines look too droopy. what you want to end up with is a triangle at the top.

Thanks Sam...I thought they looked to weeping myself. 45 degrees about I can do that! I'm not wiring the one I cut though...correct? Or am I...

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Darlene,

When developing branch structures on stumps like this it always helps to think of all stems as either 'keepers' or 'sacrifices' - everything else should be eliminated (eg bar branches, vertical growth that can't be used, branches inside curves etc).

'Keepers' are stems in the right place and thickness that will be used to form your final branch structure. 'Sacrifices' are stems which will temporarily be allowed to romp away to increase thickness of a branch or new leader. When they have done their job they will be cut back or sometimes removed completely.

'Keepers' need to be wired and pruned to develop a good looking branch structure, ie alternate left & right sub branching , tapered etc. 'Sacrifices' should not be pruned - the more leaf area on these stems the faster they will thicken and do their job.

Your new apex branch is too skinny and needs to thicken a few seasons. Some carving will help to make this transition smoother. Cut back the apex branch when the sacrifice has done it's job and then train another (thinner) stem up to continue the top.

Top Bottom