Developing nursery plants

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This Colorado Blue was repotted July 28th.. has since fell over off a 1ft high stump twice....it's still good! Sam Miller pot hit a path rock twice too! Still good! G!

View attachment 204396View attachment 204397

Keys for me..
Waning moon.
Never let the surface dry.
Tied in well.
Tight in Small Pot.
Much Foliage to regrow roots.

Sorce
Saweeeet base on this @sorce - Repotted at solstice ish? Or spring? Not familiar with moon cycles fully yet :)

How’s she doing? Have similar Fraser fir going to mess with soon.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I do not believe lunar phases have a big influence on success of repotting and root work. But that is me.

@B-rad in GR is in the same climate as myself, Sorce and Vance Wood. We all have similar growing seasons, winters, and relatively cool summers compared to southern half of USA. My favorite repotting season for most of my conifers is between July 30 and August 15. I will repot as late as Sept 15 if I don't have time to get everything done by August 15. It works for me, my success rate for most species is same or better than spring repotting. In particular my cork bark Japanese black pines fared much better. This is because I have very cool, "Lake Effect" spring weather. Even though last frost might be May 1st, my spring is so cool from the cold breeze off the Lake that my redbud trees often have flowers through the end of June. Forsythia will often stay in bloom through May.

So I learned to repot in August. And it works. Deciduous I still try to do in spring, but that is about it. Conifers all moved to summer.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one has done well. Last spring I root pruned it some and it pushed a lot of new buds. I rewired it in 2019 and this spring I just chopped the roots down some more and raked them out. It has tons of new buds ready to pop. I will post photos when it does start to open buds.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This one has done well. Last spring I root pruned it some and it pushed a lot of new buds. I rewired it in 2019 and this spring I just chopped the roots down some more and raked them out. It has tons of new buds ready to pop. I will post photos when it does start to open buds.
Please define what "This one has done well" is and a picture would sure help.

Top Bottom