Diagnose my ficus problem?

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi all - recent new owner of two ficuses (rubiginosa and microcarpa). They underwent 4 days of ground shipping but I finally got them set up with a humidity tray and realized I could increase the humidity of my living room if I turned the AC to the “fan” option. Now I’m getting anywhere from 70-85 degrees F and 50-70% humidity so hopefully they get accustomed quickly.

Anyway, I have an issue with the microcarpa leaves yellowing, brown/black spots on the leaves, and even one or two blackened leaves that dropped. Is this all a result of transport or should I go ahead and assume the dark spots are a sign of a fungal infection? I’ve attached photos of the leaves from the tree.

Attachments

• 5FA199FE-61F5-447C-B80C-ADD0C22D1107.jpeg
    5FA199FE-61F5-447C-B80C-ADD0C22D1107.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 10191A86-1483-41B1-BCD3-09D3191F7384.jpeg
    10191A86-1483-41B1-BCD3-09D3191F7384.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 67

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Most all trees suffer from shipping, and will drop leaves. Put them outside in the shade for a week until they get used to their new environment. They don't need to come in until temps drop to 50 degrees or so. You don't want them inside any longer than necessary.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Most all trees suffer from shipping, and will drop leaves. Put them outside in the shade for a week until they get used to their new environment. They don't need to come in until temps drop to 50 degrees or so. You don't want them inside any longer than necessary.

Thank you for the advice! Finally got them set up outside. Winter here usually comes pretty early and stays til late March/April so I’ll definitely leave them out for as long as possible before needing to bring them in for the long winter.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Last year it got cold early and stayed cold late. So everything was inside from mid-October to mid-May. Ficus do better indoors compared to most, so you should be fine. Grow lights are beneficial.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Last year it got cold early and stayed cold late. So everything was inside from mid-October to mid-May. Ficus do better indoors compared to most, so you should be fine. Grow lights are beneficial.

Any recommendations for grow lights? Also, when the temp drop does come, do I have to put the trees in shade for 1-2 weeks prior to bringing them indoors or is that only necessary when going from indoors -> outdoors?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can we get some pics of the tree?

Asking so we can cure this...

, do I have to put the trees in shade for 1-2 weeks prior to bringing them indoors or is that only necessary when going from indoors -> outdoors?

1-2 weeks in the shade won't really do much except set the tree back 1-2 weeks worth of shade.

You could search me talking about BIP (bring in pruning) and BOP (bring out pruning) with pics and stuff elsewhere if you need....but the nutshell is this......

Indoor leaves are indoor leaves.
Outdoor leaves are outdoor leaves.
Each not built for the others position.

So I strip them off, defoliate, when they get moved, which is ONCE in spring, and once in fall. When night temp is above or below 50.
This is 2 pruning moves a year, which can be enough, but certainly not too much.

I recommend this practice because it takes longer (2weeksshade) for a tree to lose it's other leaves and regrow leaves appropriate for it's new setting.

A tree knows what to do when it loses its leaves due to an animal, storm,etc. It grows them back. This is what BIP and BOP simulates.

Trees don't regularly move positions outside (and certainly never move to inside) so they get confused, this state is lengthy and unproductive, until leaves yellow and fall off, (what you are experiencing) Then they regrow leaves fit for their new position.

BIP and BOP just sees the inevitable and works with it to our favor.

We are squeezing as many days of productive energy gathering in as we can.

Sorce

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Why is yours inside? Mine will come in only when night temps don't allow it outside on the bench.

It was inside for a few days because I thought having stable conditions would be better than the high winds on my balcony. However, I’ve since moved them outside for the next two months or so until fall comes on.

Apologies - am at work. Will update with pics tonight!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ahhh okay...strong winds can be concerning for sure. I use a lot of small bungee cords to keep my trees secured to their benches. Either eye hooks or wrap around the bench beam. It really brings peace of mind when we have strong winds around here.
IMG_20190818_083658750.jpg

IMG_20190528_070804438.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Any recommendations for grow lights? Also, when the temp drop does come, do I have to put the trees in shade for 1-2 weeks prior to bringing them indoors or is that only necessary when going from indoors -> outdoors?
There are much better authorities on grow lights here than me. I just use some fairly cheap LED lights from Amazon. If all you winter indoors is a couple of ficus, I wouldn't spend a ton on them. I don't do the shade thing before bringing them in either. Ficus are really tough, they don't need a lot of babying.

eggwaffles

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

1-2 weeks in the shade won't really do much except set the tree back 1-2 weeks worth of shade.

You could search me talking about BIP (bring in pruning) and BOP (bring out pruning) with pics and stuff elsewhere if you need....but the nutshell is this......

Indoor leaves are indoor leaves.
Outdoor leaves are outdoor leaves.
Each not built for the others position.

So I strip them off, defoliate, when they get moved, which is ONCE in spring, and once in fall. When night temp is above or below 50.
This is 2 pruning moves a year, which can be enough, but certainly not too much.

I recommend this practice because it takes longer (2weeksshade) for a tree to lose it's other leaves and regrow leaves appropriate for it's new setting.

A tree knows what to do when it loses its leaves due to an animal, storm,etc. It grows them back. This is what BIP and BOP simulates.

Trees don't regularly move positions outside (and certainly never move to inside) so they get confused, this state is lengthy and unproductive, until leaves yellow and fall off, (what you are experiencing) Then they regrow leaves fit for their new position.

BIP and BOP just sees the inevitable and works with it to our favor.

We are squeezing as many days of productive energy gathering in as we can.

Sorce

Here are some pics I took after having my trees out for approximately 14 hours - the microcarpa leaves most definitely look greener.

Also included pics of the other ficus but I’m pretty sure that’s also a sunlight-related issue.

Attachments

• BE3328AD-04E0-409C-AD55-18C9DC48738E.jpeg
    BE3328AD-04E0-409C-AD55-18C9DC48738E.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 30
  • F79DEC0C-E817-4810-9B7A-846E89E8E43C.jpeg
    F79DEC0C-E817-4810-9B7A-846E89E8E43C.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 27
  • A03D52B6-642D-4904-9546-53847C0761A4.jpeg
    A03D52B6-642D-4904-9546-53847C0761A4.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 26
  • A380A7D1-64F3-4836-A559-A39F0D7981E5.jpeg
    A380A7D1-64F3-4836-A559-A39F0D7981E5.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 25
  • D65CD700-84BD-4633-8FF5-FA95FA5AD571.jpeg
    D65CD700-84BD-4633-8FF5-FA95FA5AD571.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 24

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I transition ficus outside post freeze:
covered porch->
edge of porch—>
4’ from porch—>
full sun the rest of year
...and the reverse getting close to cold

no more leaf drops in or out
same with lemon tree

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
there’s no such thing as inside/outside leaves to my knowledge..it’s pretty humid here tho

-fused cuttings, no drop since initially cut 2017 and left to grow in winter kitchen window, cut back severely couple weeks ago...made cuttings to do the same but put in full sun day 3 all toast

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I transition ficus outside post freeze:
covered porch->
edge of porch—>
4’ from porch—>
full sun the rest of year
...and the reverse getting close to cold

no more leaf drops in or out
same with lemon tree

I moved my ficus to outside later then usual so the temperature difference with inside-out side was minimal and didnt shed its leaves to the previous year it did throw off all the leaves when moved

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I moved my ficus to outside later then usual so the temperature difference with inside-out side was minimal and didnt shed its leaves to the previous year it did throw off all the leaves when moved
This is what I do as well. My ficus too-little is chugging along with no major leaf drop. Focusing on night temps leveling out as well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there’s no such thing as inside/outside leaves to my knowledge

It is very evident in Benjamin.

Less so with "Wal-Mart Ficus", ginseng, they seem to make the transition better.

But on a cellular level, I'd bet the difference is great.

Either way, keeping them cleaned upon bringing in and utilizing these times as scheduled shapings is beneficial, so they get lumped in!

Sorce

Top Bottom