Diatomaceous Earth, If you could have...

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
For colanders or bonsai pots?

Too large in a colander and we haven't tested how fast that shit will fry your roots Sucking moisture from your roots.

Sorce
Part of the reason i dont like it. It seems it goes from soaking wet to sucking the moisture from your roots too fast. It doesnt stay in that optimum air to water ratio for very long

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Part of the reason i dont like it. It seems it goes from soaking wet to sucking the moisture from your roots too fast. It doesnt stay in that optimum air to water ratio for very long

I completely disagree. I have used it 100% in a strainer in 120F with 3% humidity and it holds moisture like no other. As I have said before, it holds the moisture inside the particles so the space between is damp but completely oxygenated.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
As a side note, EP has been selling it to Nevada Dept. of Transportation to use along the highways under their plantings because they have found that the plants use significantly less water and have a much higher success rate.

wrcmad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have been using it here for years - No.3 is about the size we get here, and would be my choice. No.2 is too fine.
I completely disagree. I have used it 100% in a strainer in 120F with 3% humidity and it holds moisture like no other. As I have said before, it holds the moisture inside the particles so the space between is damp but completely oxygenated.
Agree with milehigh, and that is from experience in a hot climate.

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
We can buy DE called Terramol here, two fractions - 1-3 mm and 3-6mm available. I use only 3-6 mm, for all sizes of trees. No need for sifting until I mix it with lava and/or pumice.
Terramol is a third clay too according to their site :)

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
got another bag of 8822 today..want to put a pillow case on it...you were all right

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
pillowcase..bring it up to the boudoir

Top Bottom