diatomaceous earth

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
In this part of Spain we are mainly on desalination water, it's hard and prone to salty or murky bursts, I think they switch between that and a dam when needed.
I prefer to use air con run off in summer and use the hard water in winter when I don't need to water as much, so far I think this works but I would love to know the answer too as I use DE.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
I use the water straight from my tap and it's termed hard water. It doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Our neighbors water is worse. It has so much iron in it a glass will turn orange with water left in it. I don't know if that hurts or not but I would be leery.
I thought of that after seeing some kind of white crystallization on my soil after some months watering every day with a sprinkler for like 2 hours, so lots of water and thus lots of calcium. It was very hot too (42 degrees C some days) so lots of evaporation, and calcium doesn't evaporate. But this white stuff was above all on the zeolite pieces, so... Maybe calcium attaches more to zeolite? Maybe it wasn't calcium at all? Made me wonder. I wouldn't want to spoil this good DE stuff.

IMG_20170804_152729.jpg
This is my mix by the way. I think it looks quite good :D At least aesthetically.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought of that after seeing some kind of white crystallization on my soil after some months watering every day with a sprinkler for like 2 hours, so lots of water and thus lots of calcium. It was very hot too (42 degrees C some days) so lots of evaporation, and calcium doesn't evaporate. But this white stuff was above all on the zeolite pieces, so... Maybe calcium attaches more to zeolite? Maybe it wasn't calcium at all? Made me wonder. I wouldn't want to spoil this good DE stuff.

View attachment 168213
This is my mix by the way. I think it looks quite good :D At least aesthetically.
It does look good.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep that moss on top to filter the calcium deposits.

Moss moss bo boss!

Sorce

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I know DE pool filters do not alter calcium levels, so I suspect any buildup would be superficial, but I've never tested this.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
I asked the company that produces my DE. Here is the answer:

Dear *****,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of office.

Yes, theoretically the pores could “jam up” over time, if you are pouring tap water onto the granules, due to the calcium content in the water.

It is however not a “challenge” that I have heard of. That is not the same as saying it is not possible.

So; yes, if you used distilled water then the likelihood of pores jamming up over time is lessened.

I hope to have informed you well and wish you a good Monday.

Best regards

Top Bottom