Did anyone do any trident cuttings this year?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a dish of about 40 cuttings in an old bonsai pot. I did it in straight akadama fines. Thru an 1/8 screen but not thru window screen.

I ended up with about 20 cuttings that have roots now and are really pushing and have went past the point of where I cut them. They now have pushed beyond their length.

What is amazing, and I didn't know this ...is that cuttings should be taken after bud break. I have always taken them in dormancy and started them without leaves. My buddy told me that half successful is pretty good from dormant cuttings.

Anyone else have any take?

Attachments

• DSC_000100018.JPG
    DSC_000100018.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_00140006.JPG
    DSC_00140006.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 77

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is that an old tongrae pot? What ever happened to that company? Thought I hit the jackpot when I "discovered" them about 2 years into the hobby.

I always thought cuttings were done as the growth was hardening off. I do some in April, and did another round of Japanese maples, Chinese quinces, and ilex serrata last weekend. Tridents seem to do well in April here, but for me cuttings are a battle of attrition. If I want a few, I start a bunch.

BoneSci

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did the same as you SMoke after your backyard post showing the cuttings. Put them in turface fines of the same size. Maybe started 20 but only 2 have survived. Most of the rest rotted. Maaybe the turface holds more water, or more likely my watering is the culprit. But thanks for the extra info - I will try after bud break next year...

Chris

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sort of putting two and two together and reading between the lines, but it seems to me that Gary Wood says that just before bud-break is the best time. Of course you saw that thread too, Brian... maybe you got something else out of it :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I always had luck with cuttings taken just before bud break (other species and not Trident). Never did mass propagation like this, maybe something to try next spring. :)

Congrats!!! 50% success rate is nothing to sneer at.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm sort of putting two and two together and reading between the lines, but it seems to me that Gary Wood says that just before bud-break is the best time. Of course you saw that thread too, Brian... maybe you got something else out of it :p

Nope, all my trees were leafed out by then. Though that thread might be otherwise best forgotten...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nope, all my trees were leafed out by then. Though that thread might be otherwise best forgotten...
I have to respectfully disagree. It was not conveyed in the best and most civilized manner but there is a lesson to be had on that thread.

For the record, Gary and I made amends offline. Apologies offered and accepted (both ways).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am surprised but very glad you remembered that thread. You might not believe it but you made all the heartache worth it. LOL ;)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
;) I try to remember everything that provides new and helpful knowledge :p

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Have 3 I did last year, taken after leaf out. Took the clippings and stuck them in those cheap flimsy 4" pots in dirt. Doing well this year, especially since we just about had your kind climate here this "winter".

Top Bottom