Did I Fry My Cuttings?

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I took a bunch of Japanese maple cuttings a week or so ago and the one day I decided to leave the sun shade off my propagation box (because it was supposed to be rainy and overcast), it ended up being hot and sunny. The cuttings used to be all green, and now they looked like I baked them for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

I have other cuttings I'd like to stick in the box but it's currently full, are these brown ones goners or should I keep them in there?

Mix: 50/50 perlite and peat moss
Top Pane: Clear glass
Shade Cover: Maybe overkill, 80% shade cloth
Water: As needed once every few days
20210710_093610.jpg
20210710_093615.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds too covered?

Like they'll bake IN the shade.

Sorce

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I built the box after watching Mike Kincead's video and he has a 50% shade hoop house so I'm not sure why mine bakes the cuttings and his doesn't :/

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
The glass, if directly on your box, can radiate heat and stop cool airflow.
Like on a warm day, where a house plant next to a window is typically fine before, gets some brown edges or wilts kind of out of nowhere.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The hoop house I saw used for cuttings has a fan and is sprayed every 5 or so minutes so it keeps good air flow as well as humidity and temperature. Which seems like a good system. I just take cuttings throughout the year and have an area I stick them in the ground. A good bit end up rooting. I tried making it complicated for the best results and found it doesn’t have to complicated if you are just growing for yourself and for fun. You could also put seeds in the ground during the beginning of winter and get sprouts in spring.

Top Bottom