Did I just find an Elm tree?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thats an Elm? it totally looks like Celtis occidentalis
I had to look it up to compare, but it is most certainly NOT hackberry. The bark is all wrong.
Morus alba, possibly. There is a mulberry of some sort on a few paces away that makes leaves that can sometimes look similar, but those are never as rough textured as these. The mulberries that are generally seen naturalized here do not resemble these at all. They have much lighter, smoother bark, and tend toward lobed leaves, especially when young.

I'll admit my tree ID skills leave much to be desired.
I did dig up a matching tree from right next to it this past spring, but barely a stump with hardly a root. The foliage didn't even fully open all season. If it survives winter we'll know much more next spring.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had to look it up to compare, but it is most certainly NOT hackberry. The bark is all wrong.
Morus alba, possibly. There is a mulberry of some sort on a few paces away that makes leaves that can sometimes look similar, but those are never as rough textured as these. The mulberries that are generally seen naturalized here do not resemble these at all. They have much lighter, smoother bark, and tend toward lobed leaves, especially when young.

I'll admit my tree ID skills leave much to be desired.
I did dig up a matching tree from right next to it this past spring, but barely a stump with hardly a root. The foliage didn't even fully open all season. If it survives winter we'll know much more next spring.
The bark will get warts to it as it ages. Hackberry grows in the same environment so there could be elm around. An ID tip I use for hackberry outside of the leaf and mature bark is the galls that it always seems to have on the twigs and bubbles it gets on the undersides of the leaves. If you go back and check I’ll bet it has one or both of those maladies

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The bark will get warts to it as it ages. Hackberry grows in the same environment so there could be elm around. An ID tip I use for hackberry outside of the leaf and mature bark is the galls that it always seems to have on the twigs and bubbles it gets on the undersides of the leaves. If you go back and check I’ll bet it has one or both of those maladies
Here's a pic, and I did check all over the tree as far as I could reach: none of the above seem to be afflicting it.
IMG_20220926_111201_8.jpg
The bark of the same tree.
IMG_20220926_111615_5.jpg

This is the old mulberry nearby. Best leaf pic I could reach at the moment. I'll try for a better one later that shows the lobes better, but they're there and obvious.
IMG_20220926_111306_3.jpgThe bark.
IMG_20220926_113141_748.jpg

Top Bottom