Did I overwater?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could be either.

Wondering if you left the tree out in full sun? Was the tree recently wired?

Put in bright shade, Chock up one side of the pot and how hope for the best.

cheers
DSD sends

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I let like 2 days in full sun, when I noticed it was getting sun pretty much all day I changed location.

What means chock up one side?

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I let like 2 days in full sun, when I noticed it was getting sun pretty much all day I changed location.

What means chock up one side?
Tilt the pot side ways, maybe 20 degrees, put something under the lifted side. If it is indeed overwatered with roots siting in pooled water, this will drain it better/faster.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Post a pic of the pot. It's likely too big. That's the root of almost all JM problems for beginners (pun definitely intended).

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is getting late so its a bit dark

IMG_20220411_202916.jpg

edit: on top is just grinded spaghnum moss, soil is ~60% akadma, ~30% vulcanic ~10% bonsai soil mix from a bonsai shop

Last edited:

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
When the soil is the right one you can't overwater...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be likely underwatered given the soil is so lean and in full sun...

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When the soil is the right one you can't overwater...
Challenge accepted :)

Might be likely underwatered given the soil is so lean and in full sun...

I've watered everytime I checked the soil was getting dry and now I bought a "soil humidity checker" don't know the right name and it says it various points it is "moist" 4-7 in a scale of (dry) 1-10 (wet)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've watered everytime I checked the soil was getting dry and now I bought a "soil humidity checker" don't know the right name and it says it various points it is "moist" 4-7 in a scale of (dry) 1-10 (wet)
Soil moisture meters don't work very well with bonsai soil, the coarser and more free draining the soil, the worse the issue they can have. They're meant to be used with regular potting soil, not the chunky ingredients in most bonsai soils.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
… Likely too much sun. Shade it. Looks like a Dissectum maple from the photo… most are notoriously light intolerant.

But chocking up one side (switch sides / week!) won’t hurt at all as a precaution. This helps more if the pot has holes on the ends btw.

imho doubt its overpotting. But that happens less often then folks think with good media with good drainage. Otherwise all the 3-5 yr maples I have severely root cut in the past year and tossed in big pots would of bit the dust now instead flourishing. But put them in those nice shallow pots, that’s another story.

btw Just as a precaution check the drainage tomorrow and ensure it’s draining freely.

Good luck
DSD sends

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
… Likely too much sun. Shade it. Looks like a Dissectum maple from the photo… most are notoriously light intolerant.

But chocking up one side (switch sides / week!) won’t hurt at all as a precaution. This helps more if the pot has holes on the ends btw.

imho doubt its overpotting. But that happens less often then folks think with good media with good drainage. Otherwise all the 3-5 yr maples I have severely root cut in the past year and tossed in big pots would of bit the dust now instead flourishing. But put them in those nice shallow pots, that’s another story.

btw Just as a precaution check the drainage tomorrow and ensure it’s draining freely.

Good luck
DSD sends
Yeah I was in doubt of too much water or too much sun. I've changed places already, just wait now? nothing to do besides wait, right?

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score

That sucks… as I said, most important is to use the right soil. To water properly is an art btw..

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in doubt if it is dead or not, I did a small cut on some top branches to check if the tree was green/alive, but I'm not really sure, maybe they are much to the end don't know if needed to cut more "deep".

IMG_20220506_150719.jpgIMG_20220506_150715.jpgIMG_20220506_150643.jpgIMG_20220506_150634.jpgIMG_20220506_150621.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That pot….it does have drainage holes….right?

Top Bottom