Did I read this correctly, or did I just miss the memo?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From Bonsai Mirai
2022 Education Announcements
Greetings Mirai Students,

Mirai as a facility is fueled by the constantly evolving and unobtainable future. We are forever learning, growing and seeking to elevate the level of this wonderful art form.

Having fostered and developed ten years of dedicated bonsai practitioners through Mirai’s Defining Concepts courses, we are working to continue expanding the teaching of Mirai by building the next generation of bonsai instructors. This is not an end to growing serious bonsai practitioners; instead this is the beginning of a new generation of expanded bonsai learning opportunities; we could not be more excited. This next generation of educational opportunities includes:

(The first is about BM’s new mobile app….)

Mirai's First Accredited Instructor Todd Schlafer

Our second announcement is that Mirai will be welcoming into our fold the first ever Mirai accredited instructor, Todd Schlafer of First Branch Bonsai. Todd will be taking over our general education courses provided by Bonsai Mirai through his studio at First Branch Bonsai located in Denver, Colorado. It is beyond exciting to recognize that Todd has dedicated himself to embodying the nuanced aspects of education from horticulture, to design, to sound fundamental technique, and we are elated for Todd to carry the torch of excellence through his general education offerings. Sign-ups are now open, and you can book a course directly with Todd Schlafer on his website: https://www.firstbranchbonsai.com/education-1.

Best
DSD sends

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
From Bonsai Mirai

Mirai as a facility is fueled by the constantly evolving and unobtainable future. We are forever learning, growing and seeking to elevate the level of this wonderful art form.

Having fostered and developed ten years of dedicated bonsai practitioners through Mirai’s Defining Concepts courses, we are working to continue expanding the teaching of Mirai by building the next generation of bonsai instructors. This is not an end to growing serious bonsai practitioners; instead this is the beginning of a new generation of expanded bonsai learning opportunities; we could not be more excited. This next generation of educational opportunities includes:

(The first is about BM’s new mobile app….)

Our second announcement is that Mirai will be welcoming into our fold the first ever Mirai accredited instructor, Todd Schlafer of First Branch Bonsai. Todd will be taking over our general education courses provided by Bonsai Mirai through his studio at First Branch Bonsai located in Denver, Colorado. It is beyond exciting to recognize that Todd has dedicated himself to embodying the nuanced aspects of education from horticulture, to design, to sound fundamental technique, and we are elated for Todd to carry the torch of excellence through his general education offerings. Sign-ups are now open, and you can book a course directly with Todd Schlafer on his website: https://www.firstbranchbonsai.com/education-1.

Best
DSD sends
I must have missed the memo too. Did you get that in an email?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Todd did a stream for them in 2017 when Ryan was out of town while they were doing the BSOP Series. I was not impressed, but I think it was one of his first videos, and I haven't seen anything else from him instructional related... but, the reason Mirai thrives is Ryan. Like it or not, the way he instructs in unique, and while he does go into excessive repetition of terms that sometimes are above my level his approach to teaching is appealing. I have tried to watch the videos by Hugh Grant and I can't get past 10-15 min. Bonsai instruction is not fun... and if the personality of the instructor is not engaging I am lost. (That goes for any subject for me...)

I didn't get that email though...

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Todd did a stream for them in 2017 when Ryan was out of town while they were doing the BSOP Series. I was not impressed, but I think it was one of his first videos, and I haven't seen anything else from him instructional related... but, the reason Mirai thrives is Ryan. Like it or not, the way he instructs in unique, and while he does go into excessive repetition of terms that sometimes are above my level his approach to teaching is appealing. I have tried to watch the videos by Hugh Grant and I can't get past 10-15 min. Bonsai instruction is not fun... and if the personality of the instructor is not engaging I am lost. (That goes for any subject for me...)

I didn't get that email though...

Well, those are not very kind things to say about Todd or Hugh. And I disagree with you that they are “unimpressive” or “not engaging.” But to each their own.

I also don’t think it is fair to judge Todd solely off his first big presenting opportunity. I think you note that, though. I thought that was a nice presentation in any event. I have to imagine that Ryan’s very first presentation probably wasn’t as impressive as his most recent.

Look, I am as big of a Mirai junkie as the next guy. I will agree with you that Ryan is a unique talent and a very, very effective instructor. But Todd is a special artist in his own right and brings perspectives and background that Ryan doesn’t. Apples to oranges.

And Todd’s trees bring the heat!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hell yeah! Go Todd!!

He’s really come into his own..and still holds on to that.. “feeble innocence” which, I feel, made him the ultimate student.

I love his work.. and how he explains himself/teaches.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went to a demo that he did for the local club on Sunday. Missed the workshop the day before due to a funeral, but heard positive feedback. He was good at answering questions and explaining what he was doing and why. He took a less than stellar piece of material and made a nice base for the future of the tree.

Attachments

• 0439F7F8-3727-496F-8431-C1AECE9EDC02.jpeg
    0439F7F8-3727-496F-8431-C1AECE9EDC02.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 4AFB5E4B-41D6-4948-BB41-2AD1926A3F18.jpeg
    4AFB5E4B-41D6-4948-BB41-2AD1926A3F18.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 47

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, those are not very kind things to say about Todd or Hugh. And I disagree with you that they are “unimpressive” or “not engaging.” But to each their own.
You need to understand that this is about perception. Not everybody was borne to be a teacher... My grandad, father, auntie and my sister are teachers. I tried, I have all the knowledge and I can pass it on by showing you how to do it... but I SUCK at teaching verbally. Todd and Hugh work speak for them. They are awesome at what they do, so I am not saying anything against their bonsai-abilities. Just that as of right now I don't feel them as engaging as Ryan do. David Cutchin is also one of the new instructors at Mirai, I kinda like his videos. I'm old... I don't do this "you have say kind thigs to make people feel good and warm inside" of this new generation of everyone deserves a trophy. If people treated me like that growing up I wouldn't make it to where I am today. Hell I would probably won't be here.

Like I said, I haven't seen any other video of Todd, so waiting on those patiently.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That’s what I was wondering too. It is not totally clear to me what “general education courses” are.

I read it to just be saying that they are not doing in-person classes at Mirai any more, except for training Mirai instructors. I don’t read it as having any impact on Mirai Live but who knows?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm.…. Here’s the email in it’s entirety. In retrospect should of posted the message all at once to facilitate complete understanding. But I was taken aback at Todd’s ‘taking over the general education courses’ as I had been signed up and hoping to go to Bonsai Mirai this next year.

Not that Todd isnt a good instructor, I’ve been to a workshop and demo of his and thought he did just fine and wish him well. I did look at his course schedule, which is filled with offerings. You can decide on your own, better then I would, if these would fill the gap next year.

The final next section indicates a year pause and to their on site offerings and a reimagining? (my words) of what the new on site offerings will provide. So kind of a teaser and a sort of a sabbatical announcement all at once.

I’m a BM live member, so others on the mailing list should of received this message also.

cheers
DSD sends

Bonsai Mirai <info@bonsaimirai.com>
Mon 10/18/2021 12:59 PM

The Mirai Mobile App
The first announcement is the launching of our app, Mirai Mobile. Mirai Mobile will notify you when it's time to perform pertinent bonsai actions on your trees. Through a quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily diversification of seasonally specific knowledge, you will have short, quick instructional videos at your fingertips to improve your bonsai process. The best part is Mirai Mobile comes with your subscription to Mirai Live. Stay tuned for 2022 launch dates!
Mirai 2022 On-site Educational Update
The past two years have been a journey for all of us with the ongoing global pandemic. In addition, in late 2020, Mirai facilities sustained extensive damage due to vandalism. Mirai is taking 2022 to not just rebuild, but improve upon the foundation we have constructed over the past 10 years. This is both exciting and full of opportunity for the entire Mirai community, including our student core, but it does come with a brief intermission to our normal on-site educational offerings. We appreciate you bearing with us as we continue to blaze new trails and further evolve the potential of Mirai, and we look forward to circling back to formalizing on-site educational opportunities for 2023, with an update of what that educational structure will look like by Fall of 2022. As cherished members of the Mirai community, you will be the first to know.

Thank you for your continued support, encouragement, enthusiasm and patience. We could not and would not want to do this without you. We will see you online soon and hope to see you in person in the near future.

Best,

The Mirai Team
Copyright © 2021 Bonsai Mirai, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you requested to be on Mirai's 2020 Defining Concepts course waitlist!

Our mailing address is:
Bonsai Mirai
PO Box 1121
Saint Helens, OR 97051-8121

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had been signed up and hoping to go to Bonsai Mirai this next year.
I think this is the reason you got the email. The rest of us that are Mirai Live subscriber didn't get it because it was addressed to "Mirai Students". I guess there will be an additional email to the Live members. I know that they did mentioned Todd as an addition to the group, but nothing formal as an email.

Top Bottom