Did rats eat my tree?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a euonymus europaeus of mine. Today, checking it after a few weeks, I found it like this. I don't think there are other rodents around than mice and rats. Do they do things like this? Do you think it will survive? It is an airlayer that I separated this autumn, after 2 growing seasons of waitingView attachment 411767View attachment 411768View attachment 411769
The V.C strike again!
That's vole damage. I'm the expert on it.
You're lucky the tree isn't girdles all the way around and dead.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A plug for my cats. We are in the middle of a field in the middle of the forest next to a National Forest. If it lives and breaths in our area, we have it in abundance. Squirrels, turkey, bear, dear, eagles owls and hawks, voles and moles, rabbits, racoon, possum, fox, coyote, chipmunk, stray dogs and feral cats, and tons of reptiles. The ground is sometimes so uneven and torn up by voles that it is a trip hazard.
Our cats are the equalizer when it come to protecting our plants. Considering what we are up against, they do an amazing job. And at the end of the day they curl up, lick their paws and purr.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The V.C strike again!
That's vole damage. I'm the expert on it.
You're lucky the tree isn't girdles all the way around and dead.
My dogs ocasionally catch mice and other rodents that I thought were rats. I can't find a translation of vole in my language, but it could be what I have around. I find the rodents lying dead on the ground but I can't make a difference between the species. The internet shows lots and lots of mouse-like rodents, but I always classified them as mice, if they are small, and rats, if they are bigger. Thanks for opening my eyes a little more 😅

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A plug for my cats. We are in the middle of a field in the middle of the forest next to a National Forest. If it lives and breaths in our area, we have it in abundance. Squirrels, turkey, bear, dear, eagles owls and hawks, voles and moles, rabbits, racoon, possum, fox, coyote, chipmunk, stray dogs and feral cats, and tons of reptiles. The ground is sometimes so uneven and torn up by voles that it is a trip hazard.
Our cats are the equalizer when it come to protecting our plants. Considering what we are up against, they do an amazing job. And at the end of the day they curl up, lick their paws and purr.
I have 4 dogs at home and they like to hunt and catch rodents. But some of them like running around with sticks in their mouths too. I wish I could trust them around my trees without having to worry about finding my rooted sticks scattered around the garden

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 4 dogs at home and they like to hunt and catch rodents. But some of them like running around with sticks in their mouths too. I wish I could trust them around my trees without having to worry about finding my rooted sticks scattered around the garden
Only ever had one mishap with one cat. He knocked a small top heavy bonsai off the bench. No harm done but the ugly pot broke. It needed re-potting anyway so in the long run I was thankful.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Only ever had one mishap with one cat. He knocked a small top heavy bonsai off the bench. No harm done but the ugly pot broke. It needed re-potting anyway so in the long run I was thankful.
I have bonsai and cats who like to walk among the pots. Thankfully, they have not pushed any off the benches. Now I have another thing to worry about. The kitties do keep rats and squirrels away, along with anything they can catch.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have bonsai and cats who like to walk among the pots. Thankfully, they have not pushed any off the benches. Now I have another thing to worry about. The kitties do keep rats and squirrels away, along with anything they can catch.
I have a large lovable cat that naps between the bonsai trees on the bench.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a large lovable cat that naps between the bonsai trees on the bench.
Mine is also large and loveable but she lives inside. She shows no interest in my trees inside for the winter, she's mostly interested in treats and getting petted.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I must admit my small acer was bitten at 3 places thanks to the squirrels..
But this is totally something else...!!

As others members pointed out Im impressed by the way things turned out for you, as it will probably survive, nature gave you a unique "gift" and a new challenge.
Activate the full protection mode for the years coming tho!

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An update on the airlayered euonymus: it survived. Nothing bothered it after I placed it outside for the winter.IMG_20220511_091126.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did not know you needed volunteer pixie apprentices did you? Tree more interesting now☺️.

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know squirrels will do this (eat the bark). Are there squirrels around? If there are, a BB Gun makes for a good solution. After all, (IMO) a squirrel is not much more than a fuzzy tailed tree rat.
I have had the same experience with red squirrels. They chewed on some of my trees in pots as well as a yew in the landscape.

Top Bottom