Did the juniper already have a winter rest?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the naysayers but if it's cheap and you want to give it a shot, go for it... After all, we learn (hopefully) from each experience.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All this expressed need to have something to work on in winter is exactly why I introduced the bonsai world to Figs.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Duluth, Minnesota northern Minnesota is zone 3 . 3a 3b can’t remember
Duluth?? We used to do boundary waters in the summer, can only imagine your Winters..
Brent

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m fairly new to the game, but I new it was iffy bringing it home this time of year. I have learned a ton and mistakes will be made. Mistakes are good for learning. I have a ficus microcarpa, and an evergreen azalea. But would be nice to get something else to work with during the 5 month winters we have. What else is suitable for indoor?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might research a Chinese elm, bring indoors for the worst of your Winters. May drop its leaves, but they're cool looking without leaves.

Brent

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I’m fairly new to the game, but I new it was iffy bringing it home this time of year. I have learned a ton and mistakes will be made. Mistakes are good for learning. I have a ficus microcarpa, and an evergreen azalea. But would be nice to get something else to work with during the 5 month winters we have. What else is suitable for indoor?
Natal plum does well indoors in winter.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are more than enough fig varieties to keep you busy, and they're all easy to manage as houseplants. Choose an appearance you like and voilà, there's a fig like that!
Meijer Gardens 2018 Houseplants.JPG
Left to right above: 'Too Little', Tigerbark, 'Too Little' variegated, Green Island, Golden Benjamin, Burt Davii, 'Too Little' var. 'Dutch Treat', Green Mound, Oriental, and 'Too Little' variegata. All bulletproof. And, there are many more!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was being blunt because most of the responses were from people in mild climates. Duluth can reach -40 F, which is about -40 C, the point both systems converge. Now you have not had that cold recently, but it is possible. Even though winter has been mild, it could return to "normal" for a few days yet this year.

A juniper will adapt to cold if given time. Your southern USA raised tree would be fine next year in the garage, maybe buried and mulched in the ground next year. It takes between 2 and 3 months of steadily declining night temperatures to make the metabolic changes for winter hardiness. Higher sugars and more resins in sap, less water in cells, especially meristem cells, and so on. Take a Florida juniper and expose it suddenly to 22 F, -6 C, and you can kill it. This is why I recommend window sill for the remaining winter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
As for indoors for winter, light set up or window sills, and outside for summer, there are hundreds of good species. Most really prefer an outside summer stint to get a burst of vigorous growth.

Can't beat Ficus. I really have had good luck with pomegranate. I would summer it outside, let it get a light frost, but don't freeze the roots. Winter in a cold dark well house, between 32 F and 40 F, then no matter what, it would start to wake up in February. Move to lights set up until safe to go outside. Kept it going 39 years that way. It would survive going from back yard to lights set up, but I got more vigorous growth with the added cold dormant spell.

Gewia - purple star flower, is popular for indoors in winter, as are any member of Eugenia, the brush cherries. I've had fun with Fuchsia, they get woody eventually, a good clip and grow bonsai.

And of course Ficus

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had 30 degree days last week.... and tonight will be below 0 . Appreciate the feedback. I’m a little worried about my jm in the garage. I have his pot insulated, but it’s my first winter as a tree enthusiast. Maybe I should put him in the eaves? ( attic/ ventilation passages) it was 29 degrees in there and plenty of airflow.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just used one to build a cage.

I have a flower place down the block with a greenhouse, I'll bet they'd let me keep it there iffin I asked. You have any place like that by you?

Sorce
Picture of the cage please!
Actually, there is a florist around here. More of a nursery / florist. But my winters are mild enough that I think that protecting my trees by putting them along side the house will be enough.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
.....any photo of the tree they say is doomed?...

another thought, can you not just dig a hole and put it in the ground...then get a cheap clear tub and put over it?

may’ve got the tub madness

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.....any photo of the tree they say is doomed?...

another thought, can you not just dig a hole and put it in the ground...then get a cheap clear tub and put over it?

may’ve got the tub madness
I’ve got my JM in a second bigger pot, with the area between filled with sphagmum for insulation. Then both pots in a tote lined with more. Forcast is getting down to -5 midweek.... and the garage only stays about 10 degrees F more than outside. Best way to protect roots?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve got my JM in a second bigger pot, with the area between filled with sphagmum for insulation. Then both pots in a tote lined with more. Forcast is getting down to -5 midweek.... and the garage only stays about 10 degrees F more than outside. Best way to protect roots?
Bury it...put a dome over, next to warm home, Hvac...-40.....you should listen to Leo, that man is brilliantly honest and beyond knowledgeable. He has saved my trees and honestly in a roundabout way, made me a better person.
I live in Tennessee....there are two snowmen across the street presently but a week ago people were wearing shorts.

Double tub in garage, top tub clear plastic dome, blasted with lights, mist foliage, soil not too wet....don’t let em tell you it’s dead till it’s dead!

....still no photos of tree

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tubthumpin’
this is going to really fuck up my recommended algorithm

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My phone sucks for pictures

Attachments

• 61000A59-7C98-49DC-A104-EF434644FF23.jpeg
    61000A59-7C98-49DC-A104-EF434644FF23.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 03334DFE-6411-4482-BB0D-94552873C916.jpeg
    03334DFE-6411-4482-BB0D-94552873C916.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 6
  • B7A5D217-4D5E-4BB2-9F58-089A1E7E89B1.jpeg
    B7A5D217-4D5E-4BB2-9F58-089A1E7E89B1.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 7311E06B-D90C-48C7-9B53-3CB133ABFDBD.jpeg
    7311E06B-D90C-48C7-9B53-3CB133ABFDBD.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 5

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I kinda thought you'd be a free-range kind of guy.

Top Bottom