Did they survive?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well last night will be the real test of winterization among my trees. We hit an unusually low 13.5 degrees F on my back porch, coldest I have seen in the 11 years I have been down here in WNC. The only good thing is it snowed a couple days ago so my trees had 3-4” of snow blanketing them in addition to the leaves I had piled on most of them this fall. I am still concerned about my Jap. maples, tridents, black pine, boxwoods, and a few others that might be sensitive to this cold. However since we replaced the old garage doors with insulated ones it never gets down lower than about 42 in there even on the coldest nights so I can only put a couple of marginal trees in there. Short of building a hoop house for overwintering or an unheated storage shed the best bet seems to be to limit my collection what will survive under these highly variable climatic conditions. At this point I am resolved to just see what happens, since after this I will definitely know how low these various species can go. So how did you do last night?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my trees had 3-4” of snow blanketing
in addition to the leaves I had piled on most of them
13,5F = -10C
My acers pines and -when I had them- boxwood take this without any protection (No snow here). This is only a little below the forecast temps at which I move them to the ground.
They survived.

Last edited:

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
for nights that cold I'll move my maples into the garage UNLESS they are covered in snow. I consider that an absolute best case and would never bother to do anything extra to protect a tree buried in snow. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Also crazy to hear 13 F down there, I think it was 19 or 20 up here, all snow melted unfortunately

Top Bottom