Did you get any bonsai related gifts for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus etc..

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got 9 rolls of wire and 32 ounces of liquid fertilizer. I bought a golden atlas cedar from Evergreen Gardenworks a few weeks ago too which I started a thread on which was kind of a gift to myself.

So how bout it, did you get anything? Feel free to post up pics!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I got work uniforms. I also bought the Terrier bit from Kaizen Bonsai. I am interested to see how it works. It looks awesome, I hope it's worth it ;) I needed a new carving bit anyhow...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have been buying bonsai stuff the entire year :D but for this month I got...
- Naka's Bonsai Techniques I & II
- The Bonsai Art of Kimura (book #1...my #2 was lonely)
- A nice Thermostat and extra/backup 100ft deicing cable
- several "cheap' carving bits
- extra Branch benders
- a 13" Tokoname Pot
- Bonsai Today #11 & #13 (still hunting for 8 issues)
- a cheap "reject" garden stock olive tree in 15 gallon pot.

...all gifts for myself :D

Would you believe the olive tree is the cheapest of those listed above?

I forgot...I also bought some military surplus (extreme cold & wet weather system-ECWS) socks, long johns (top and bottom) and jackets specifically so I can work outside w/o getting too cold...on the few days we have sub-zero weather here. LOL

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got a Fiskars 10" Power Tooth folding saw for my upcoming air-layer projects in the Spring, everything else I got for Christmas was either Black Leather, Dark Chocolate, or JD except for one hella nice sweater :p

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
My workers brought me each a stone and a drift wood for Xmass /burthday...on the 25.12.
They can not afford expensive things, but know what I like, and it was nice of them.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought myself a couple of small trident maples as a present to myself. I am recently divorced and can now practice bonsai without retribution, which is the best gift of all.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The wife got me a 45 gallon terarrium for the small tropicals along with a very nice grow light for it.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I received money to put toward my upcoming bonsai education with Michael Hagedron :D

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
On my way to a large local nursery to buy materials to build a few "gifts" I stopped at a fast food joint to get a breakfast burrito and when I got out of my car I noticed a sweet fig tree amongst the 4' tall Natal Plum hedge. It stuck out like a sore thumb as it is a large fig, you know the one with leafs big enough to cover Adams groin in all the paintings. I admired it and then went and ate but couldn't stop trying to figure out how I would acquire this thing. On my way back to take another look before leaving an older gentleman was pruning the hedge and the fig specifically so I asked him what he thought about this tree that was ruining his hedge and he replied that he wanted to get rid of it. Did I hear him correctly? Sweet! So I offered to replace it with a natal plum, which he gladly agreed. Perfect as I was on my way to the nursery already. The nursery has a ton of bonsai related stuff (There may have been a time where this was the go to for bonsai enthusiasts but it is way over due for an update). I grabbed my natal plums(there's actually 2 figs but I think the second is not worth collecting), a small pomegranate, a very cool succulent that looked like a tree, perfect for my girlfriends sister that is insisting on more of an indoor bonsai with filtered sun, and then went to grab some pots for the two "gifts" when I stumbled upon some very cool antique looking chinese pots. They may be 20-30 years old, its hard for me to tell, but they look great so I grabbed all 3 of them. I will post pics of pots and tree or trees later when I dig them up in a week or so. So those are my very unexpected gifts to myself and from a cool restaurant owner pruning his own hedge in the parking lot. :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A few pots, one I'm particularly excited about:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 46

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got some sand in my eye and a lump of coal, I guess they could be used for Bonsai ...

ed

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Good for you

My workers brought me each a stone and a drift wood for Xmass /burthday...on the 25.12.
They can not afford expensive things, but know what I like, and it was nice of them.

You are easy to buy for, Wish my lady would go for a rock and piece of driftwood, that would have got me the cold shoulder for sometime...

:D

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bought myself a couple of small trident maples as a present to myself. I am recently divorced and can now practice bonsai without retribution, which is the best gift of all.

I believe all Daves should have a descriptive prefix to their name, yours is now

FreeDave

good for you,

bigDave

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
heres 2 of the 3 fairly identical chinese pots I came across just before Xmas that I gifted to myself
chinesepot.jpgchinesepot1.jpgchinesepot2.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice pots Nathan.
And home team, that is pretty awesome of your MIL to get you something like that. Does she do bonsai?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got some good stuff for Christmas: Adams's "Bonsai with Japanese maples", a Chuck Iker pot, a turntable, and a couple half kilos of wire (sexy, I know). The only thing I didn't buy myself was the turntable.

The really good stuff came for my birthday, which was yesterday. Saturday, my wife let me go to Plant City . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . BY MYSELF. No 7 year old ready to leave after 5 minutes and bored to destruction after 15. No wife saying "you're going to pay how much for that little thing!?" It. Was. AWESOME! I ended up staying for about 3 hours, and I looked at almost everything, even the tropicals I'd never buy. I got a sweet crab apple, a shohin trident trunk with nice basal flare, and a flowering quince (cultivar unknown) with a 2.5" fused root base and nice marbled pink flowers. Pictures to come when I get some time.

Hope everyone's birthday is as good as mine.

Top Bottom