Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So I just ordered myself a Makita die grinder. Now I just need some bits.

What would you guys recommend for a bit set and other things that would be useful for bonsai?

Was looking at this set on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/8pc-Dual-Cut-...885&sr=8-5&keywords=1/4+inch+die+grinder+bits

The one I ordered is a 1/4 inch collette.

Thanks!

I received a die grinder for Christmas. Bits are a problem. I purchased some router bits that I thought would do the job as long as I used eye protection; we will see this summer. We are expecting another 6 inches of snow in the next couple of days so it's going to be a while before I am able to try it out. Ghrahm Potter sells them at his web site but I do not know what they cost.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Get a hold of Dale Cochoy either by PM or on Facebook he'll have everything you could possiblly need.
The ones your looking at will take longer and not do half a good a job as structured carbide bits will, but they are a lot cheaper. Try Dale

Dale Cochoy
Wild Things Bonsai Studio
Yakimono no Kokoro Hand-made Bonsai Pots
Hartville, Ohio

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried all the different bits until I got Dale's weasel bit. It cut like a hot knife through butter. By far the best I have ever tried.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where do you send your bits off to sharpen them?

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried many types of burr. Finally I found those burrs which are the best! I have been using them for die grinder (1/4" shank) and Dremel (1/8" shanks) with different type: fine, coarse and extra coarse.
P/S: I used them on several large bonsai (pomegranate, olive, juniper, crepe myrtle).
This link shows what I use.http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/spheresaburrtoothcarbideburrs14shank.aspx
Any way, this store has very good price and customer service.
Bonhe

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Grimmy

The structured carbide burrs and bits like in the link by Bonhe I've had for at least 7+ years have never been sharpened and still work fine. Once in awhile I take a torch and soft wire brush to them to clean the gunk out but thats it.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Get a hold of Dale Cochoy either by PM or on Facebook he'll have everything you could possiblly need.
The ones your looking at will take longer and not do half a good a job as structured carbide bits will, but they are a lot cheaper. Try Dale

Dale Cochoy
Wild Things Bonsai Studio
Yakimono no Kokoro Hand-made Bonsai Pots
Hartville, Ohio

Hi a Bob can you post a picture of that bit you use please:(
I bought a better grinder after Dario inquired about the smaller die grinder, and have also looked for bits that can cut those cali junipers hard wood I must say. A 2" wire wheel works cool but need a better option. Will look up Dale Cochoy for sure...
Ebay has a set with 6 flute blades similar to those posted, tried a few of those not so good and takes more time, may be with less blade the cuts can be faster but not so clean I guess will try out after buying a set.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I use kutzall carbide bits...cuts like butter, cleans up with torch and wire brush ala bp
18N1R.jpg

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Grimmy

I think it is cheaper to replace the bit than have it "professionally" sharpened. Like what was said...carbide take very long to dull unless you abuse it. Likewise...very difficult to sharpen.

I've heard good things about the bit Bohne linked to. :)

The Weasel & Terrier (from Dale - a Kaizen/Graham Potter bit) should be great but on the pricey side. http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_60

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi a Bob can you post a picture of that bit you use please:(
I bought a better grinder after Dario inquired about the smaller die grinder, and have also looked for bits that can cut those cali junipers hard wood I must say. A 2" wire wheel works cool but need a better option. Will look up Dale Cochoy for sure...
Ebay has a set with 6 flute blades similar to those posted, tried a few of those not so good and takes more time, may be with less blade the cuts can be faster but not so clean I guess will try out after buying a set.

I use many different ones depending on the situation.
Here is a link to a blog post that shows most of the arsenal.
http://bonsaibpsbonsaiblog-bonsai.blogspot.com/2011/10/large-juniper-project-part-3.html

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the Terrier - it's fantastic, well worth the money.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Is there a difference between the maroon and the silver color? I can only find the former and it does not say that wood is among the materials it is made to cut.

These are wood carving bits, and the difference in color denotes the coarseness of the burr. Silver is coarser and removes more wood with each pass while maroon is finer.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm didnt know this was such a loaded question...lol

Lots to think about and investigate.

How big around is this one? Do the come in different diameters. Seems to me that it might be useful to have different sizes for different sized trees/projects. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I am not a total tool idiot and have used everything from table saws, hand saws, drill presses, drills and a router, but this is a bit out of my realm. Unfortunately my local Home Depot doesnt stock these things so everything has to be ordered online and I cant just go there and look at stuff myself.

I use kutzall carbide bits...cuts like butter, cleans up with torch and wire brush ala bp
18N1R.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom