Difference between perfection and excellence

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To me:
Perfection means complying to norms.
Excellence means getting free from some of the norms, and going further.

Take for instance the paintings of el Greco: his portaits are not "perfect" in the sense that the proportion are not exactly natural. This little twist of reality is probably one of the elements that make his paintings "excellent" (to my mind).

greco_2.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That ....perfection...and it's pursuit , has been running through my thoughts a lot lately.

I .....

Try to achieve perfection.

Knowing I might reach excellence with a ton of effort.

And perfection will never be achieved.

Unless..... ?

There is a way.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mr. Pall,

I hate to bring up the old standard but John Naka's Goshin "Protector of the spirit" comes to mind. Realistically, it's probably not something you'd find in nature. However, Mr. Naka achieved excellence in creating his Masterpiece and it is quite believable.

Goshin-bonsai.jpg

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Mr. Pall,

I hate to bring up the old standard but John Naka's Goshin "Protector of the spirit" comes to mind. Realistically, it's probably not something you'd find in nature. However, Mr. Naka achieved excellence in creating his Masterpiece and it is quite believable.

Good example, because while it is excellent (to me at least) it is not 'perfect'. Look at the terrible nebari for instance ;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
any bonsai examples?

imperfection.jpg

Here's an example. Hopefully no one will argue about the "excellence" of this tree. However I don't know how you could apply the concept of "perfection" to it.

First, the tree is unique and its design doesn't fit many of the "rules" of bonsai.

Second, the design of the tree is surreal and suggestive, and depends on the perspective of the viewer. I see a dragon, and I am strongly attracted to the design. Someone else might see tangled deadwood that lacks focus, and might not like it.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the variability, uniqueness, and ever changing aspect of life, inherent of the art, by default, negates the ability for perfection. like others have said, the difference is subjective. A perfect game in baseball is a mathematical assertion, 27 outs, no walks, no hits, anything else is less than perfect, by mathematical regard. we can only strive for excellence, and who is the perfect judge? ever changing, variable, and unique.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To me:
Perfection means complying to norms.
Excellence means getting free from some of the norms, and going further.

Take for instance the paintings of el Greco: his portaits are not "perfect" in the sense that the proportion are not exactly natural. This little twist of reality is probably one of the elements that make his paintings "excellent" (to my mind).

View attachment 154353
what is wrong with his hand? :)

Top Bottom