Different Acer palmatum varieties leaf out at different times?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey guys, do you have different varieties of Japanese maples in your collection? if so, do you notice differences in the time they leaf out in spring? I am noticing that my bloodgood are much slower than my (unknown variety with small leafs). An alternative could simply be that those in small containers leaf earlier. In the photo you can see the small-leaf fully open but the bloodgood still opening. If this is specific for the variety, I find it an advantage for trees overwintering in the greenhouse so that they don't open and start creating large leafs, long internodes but I don't know if this late leafing is a quality of the bloodgood variety or due to them being in large grow boxes still. Any insights? @derek7745, I hear you have lots of different varieties here in Montreal, what do you think?

Attachments

• DMHxrk9TQtuGBwYXvzysiQ.jpg
    DMHxrk9TQtuGBwYXvzysiQ.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 22
D

Deleted member 21616

Hi @Rafael Najmanovich ! Yes i have about 25 cultivars, and this number should increase dramatically next month if all goes to plan.

+1 on what @sorce said. I have 4 Kashima in bonsai pots, hundreds of seedlings, and a few big trees in big pots, none of them are on the same schedule!

as for bloodgood in particular: one reason why this cultivar (for upright) along with the red dragon (for weeding dissectum) have become the cultivars that all of our big garden centres in Quebec sell is because of their late opening. When placed in a landscape, this late opening is what saves them from our late frost!

by contrast, even though they are also rated for zone 6 on paper, there are cultivars that are sometimes said to be more appropriate for warmer climates, such as seiryu, sumi nagagashi, and sango kaku -- all of these budded out very early for me!

So although the trees don't follow any pattern in particular, as @sorce noted, you can make educated guesses if you're familiar with the cultivar. This site has a lot of people sharing first hand experiences with a wide range of cultivars, usually in the context of landscape gardening: https://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/maples.9/

Vertrees lists a number of japanese publications that discuss the origins of certain cultivars in japan (dating back to 1600's). Knowing where a certain cultivar came from in Japan would be very interesting information, but my japanese is not advancing as fast as I would like!

there is a guy in south-east quebec who "crosses" korean maples with japanese maples (although he couldn't really explain what he meant...) and this makes them much more resistant to late frosts (landscape stuff, massive leaves most of them)

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Rafi! Cool hat! I have noticed that my red leafed JMs leaf out later. Beni Maiko and Shindeshojo are just starting to open. It seams like leaves with yellow or orange leaf out earlier. Coonara and Kashima were first. Although Sango kaku has not opened yet. 20190407_074648.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
if so, do you notice differences in the time they leaf out in spring?

Yes they will leaf out at different times. Even clones of the same cultivar, if placed in slightly different locations in your garden, can leaf out at different times. Warmer + sunnier usually equals sooner. Cooler + shadier usually equals later.

The same can be said for cultivars of other species. I have a lot of different Chinese elm cultivars, and they vary by as much as a month.

Top Bottom