Different take on bald cypress styling

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's one I've never seen in the books. This is my "test mule" bald cypress. I collected it two years ago and it didn't sprout out near the chop. I've been trying different things since then. This is the latest. The two lower branches are from the first year. The tall leader has grown this past summer. While not a typical style, I've certainly seen trees that exibit similar behavior through the years.

unnamed - 2022-01-31T145717.516.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Can't wait to see it all leafed out. The top does have to come down some. I might make that set of top 3 branches into some kind of a flat top.

I think the tree goes well with my homemade concrete pot. Not too bad for 50 cents of concrete and an old towel.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not bad at all, it’s awesome little tree full of potential. I’d like to see where this tree is in 5 years.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like this a lot. I think branches on the lower portion of the leader will help tie in the side shoots left on the "stump". Terrific base, reminds me of some Chinese rotten stump style elms.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like this a lot. I think branches on the lower portion of the leader will help tie in the side shoots left on the "stump". Terrific base, reminds me of some Chinese rotten stump style elms.
My thoughts exactly.. I am VERY excited to see this deviation from "the norm"... I actually... find myself overwhelmed with ALL the great, very skillfully developed ,more-formal upright BC Bonsai trees... They ALL stand out so much.. it's.. Hard for any of them to stand out, in my opinion..

If that makes sense.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's a look of that pot in progress. Two parts sand and 1 part portland cement and enough water to make a thin slurry. Soak the cloth in the solution and drape it over an oiled container of your choice. Trim to a roughly even edge all around, cut out a couple of drainage holes and let dry for a couple of days. After drying for several days, immerse in water for several more days.

unnamed - 2022-02-01T130056.022.jpg

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's a look of that pot in progress. Two parts sand and 1 part portland cement and enough water to make a thin slurry. Soak the cloth in the solution and drape it over an oiled container of your choice. Trim to a roughly even edge all around, cut out a couple of drainage holes and let dry for a couple of days. After drying for several days, immerse in water for several more days.

View attachment 418535
I’m doing this!
Is there any particular paint that you’ve found works best? Or just good old fashioned spray paint?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I just used the cheap acrylic paint in the craft section at Walmart. You might have to re-do it every couple of years, but that would take only 5 minutes or so. Search "draped concrete pots" on Youtube. Dozens of videos.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here's one I've never seen in the books. This is my "test mule" bald cypress. I collected it two years ago and it didn't sprout out near the chop. I've been trying different things since then. This is the latest. The two lower branches are from the first year. The tall leader has grown this past summer. While not a typical style, I've certainly seen trees that exibit similar behavior through the years.

View attachment 418439
Like I said in the post below, I am thinking about doing one too. I certainly have seen BCs like this in the wild.

Top Bottom