Diggin Yew

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm..
Seeding Yews are getting a little rare in my-abouts. SOmething to do with people not wanting poisonous delicious looking berries in their backyard. So when our version or gregs' list showed a bunch of 25 y.o. Yews that needed to go, completely, and for free, I said to some mates: Lets go get them. We'll ask whether we can come in September, which is actually a decent time to dig up yews.

Long story short.. If you come this weekend, you are in luck. If someone else comes after that, they are gone. So you can wait for september, but chances are..

So .. We got a trailer, drove over and in what felt like 100F dug these six trees. Came out pretty bad. Roots stayed in the ground mostly because they were planted between rows of pavers and against other hedges; Not a lot of space.

And then as we drove home, the forecast of 2 weeks cool rainy weather changed. THe weather in our region has today flipped into dry heatwave for the next 10 days.

Anybody taking odds of these surviving?
My back already lost; It gave out lugging the cement mixing tubs with the trees in it back to the trailer.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t know Leatherback. I’ve not had much success with summer collecting anything, let alone Taxus. Nursery Taxus die if I look at them wrong. BUT, even if 1 makes it it was worth the effort.

Who am I kidding, even if they die, it was worth the chance of them surviving. I know I would have taken the chance also. Here’s hoping for success 🤞🏻.

Top Bottom