Digging a Monster Pine

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hola!

So last year I met a gentleman who lets me dig his back yard up for bonsai. He was the one that gave me a couple elms and carpinus. He has a lot more material back there that is large. It was summer when I dug bc he was threatening to take a chainsaw to everything. That being said, I'll be returning this year during the proper season to take out some more material.

So, I'm not really into pines but I'm also not one to turn down a good opportunity to score free material.

He has this monster pine he just offered to me. It's in the ground currently and large... If my memory serves me, at least three (maybe 4) feet with a big chunky base. The kind of tree I can't carry alone. He mentioned winter being the best time to dig. Can anyone with more experience confirm or deny that December would be the best time to dig a JBP?

I thank you for your input.

B

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can't help you but sounds like a nice compact tree. Good luck!!!

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
late late winter early spring as Dav4 says wait til you see buds moving

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, indeed. Japanese Black Pine. I'm trying to have him send me pictures so I can plan a space in the yard and a grow box.

Are you sure it's JBP or are you making an assumption?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll be sure to update when I'm able. He told me he'd send over some pics when he's able.

@Vance - I can only assume so. He may have misidentified however. I'm certain it's a 2 needle.

Looks like it'll be a busy spring this year.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wish I met someone willing to giveaway aged material, good luck

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wish I met someone willing to giveaway aged material, good luck

Thanks, I'll need it. The reason he allows me to dig freely is because he was into bonsai for a couple decades and now has decided to hang it up. He's reclaiming space in his back yard for his other hobbies and as such, trades me the trees for the free labor. I was kind to a woman from the club and she connected me with him. I'm certain this particular pine will take a decade or more to amount to anything; if ever. I hope to share pictures soon.

Last year he sold me some old pots for a steal. I'm hoping he'll be ready to come off some more of his stash this year. Home made beef jerky and a twelver should hopefully help in arm twisting.

:)

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Home made beef jerky and a twelver should hopefully help in arm twisting.

If he has a dog, make sure to comment on it appearing to be of the highest bloodline. Commenting on the quality of a man's dog goes a long way. :cool:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depending on your weather, I always gather after any threat of freezing weather. I don't like my gathered trees to freeze before they go through a full growing season. I'd gather after that threat was gone. My .02

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back hurts. Ended up grabbing a pretty good sized quince of some sort also.

Attachments

• IMG_6631.jpg
    IMG_6631.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6632.jpg
    IMG_6632.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 165

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's a big dog! You'll want to leave plenty do those long shoots for approach grafting later.

That quince looks like Chinese quince, Pseudocydonia. A closeup of the trunk and leaves will help tell for sure. If so, you're fortunate to get one with that good movement.

Looks like a good haul, congrats!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a big dog! You'll want to leave plenty do those long shoots for approach grafting later.

That quince looks like Chinese quince, Pseudocydonia. A closeup of the trunk and leaves will help tell for sure. If so, you're fortunate to get one with that good movement.

Looks like a good haul, congrats!

Thanks man. I'll get better pictures up when the rain subsides.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! That is a big one!

Two big ones... Looks like you have some good stuff if they make it! Good lipuck man, I look forward to some updates in a couple months showing a ton of new growth!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The saving grace was that this tree was in a pot some decades ago. There was no tap root to fight. The quince had some of the ugliest roots I had ever seen. Sucked that the reciprocating saw died. :mad:

Top Bottom