Digging Hibiscus for bonsai

Should I go and dig a non-tropical hibiscus from a backyard?

• Of course. Just do not attempt to bonsai it. Hibiscus flower tea is great.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Yes. You have no bonsai anyway. Another stick in a pot won't matter

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Yes. Hibiscus make great bonsai

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • No. Hibiscus are horrible for bonsai

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No, Life is too short to develop them

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • What is hibiscus?

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone is changing the yard and I have the option to dig some of the hibiscus shrubs. However I cannot find any non-tropical hibiscus bonsai. Should I just let it be?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter Pall has one! Def not his best tree, and flowers make it a bit out of proportion, but cool none the less. IMO

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have a type of hibiscus here in NY called Rose of Sharon. It has straight twigs, large leaves and flowers, doesn't bark up well, and doesn't ramify that well. I tried one years ago and wasn't impressed. Others may have had a more favorable experience with them. I see a couple of examples on google of decent looking trees, so maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Walter Pall has one! Def not his best tree, and flowers make it a bit out of proportion, but cool none the less. IMO
a great example of taking a stick in a pot and turning it into something decent

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The winter hardy hibiscus most commonly used for bonsai is a shrub that went a recent name change.

Althea syriacus is now called Hibiscus syriacus, if you search under the name "Althea syriacus Bonsai" you will find many more images.

They are a little tricky, but some nice enough bonsai have been created, and in bloom the flowers trump problems with internode length and difficulties in getting multiple levels of ramification.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow, I love that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Walter Pall's hibiscus is one of the tropical hybrids of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. He definitely treats it as a indoor for winter, outdoors for summer tropical.

There are a number of winter hardy hibiscus species, several, especially the north american native species are more or less die back to the ground perennials, where the roots are perennial, and the above ground stems die back when weather freezes. These tend to be poor for bonsai, as the stems tend to be long, without much branching. The Hibiscus syriacus (Althea syriacus) is one of the few tree like hardy hibiscus species, native originally to China but first described (by Europeans) from a specimen found in a garden in Syria. Europeans were not the first to import plants into their gardens from regions far from home.

So the Althea is more like Hibiscus rosa sinensis in that internode lengths, while variable, are not too long, or at least frequently enough you can get short enough to be useful internodes. Leaf size is okay, leaves will reduce as ramification increases. They are somewhat reluctant to ramify, but can be forced to do so. They bloom on the current season's growth, so you have to let them grow out to get flowers. But they don't have to grow out a large amount. So all in all, useful for bonsai.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a syriaca cultivar called “Li’l Kim”, which produces small-ish flowers that are bright white with a crimson or bright magenta center. The flowers are reminiscent of the satsuki ‘hinomaru’.
I think it also comes with a stack of hip-hop CD’s.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is a syriaca cultivar called “Li’l Kim”, which produces small-ish flowers that are bright white with a crimson or bright magenta center. The flowers are reminiscent of the satsuki ‘hinomaru’.
I think it also comes with a stack of hip-hop CD’s.
Are you referring to the lilac (syringa) Lil Kim?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Our Hybiscus is a few years old from nursery stock. Looks like the flowers are about to pop.

Attachments

• D48C609F-3845-4E36-98D3-55E7A0317686.jpeg
    D48C609F-3845-4E36-98D3-55E7A0317686.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 129
Top Bottom