Digging out dwarf hinoki

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found some free dwarf hinoki on fb marketplace. First time digging up a specimen. They will go straight into a large pots. Should I repot next spring then prune? Prune after or before repot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-092318_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220813-092318_Facebook.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 69

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found some free dwarf hinoki on fb marketplace. First time digging up a specimen. They will go straight into a large pots. Should I repot next spring then prune? Prune after or before repot?

No on the repot next spring, since youll already be putting them in pots rather late this year.
Give them good protection this winter and see how they recover from being dug up this year.
I wouldnt worry about repotting them again for a couple of years. Let them grow and get strong again.

If they look like they are starting to put on a lot of new growth in the spring, you can start pruning some of the branches you know wont go into the final design, but dont go crazy. Give them a chance to get stronger.
Also be careful how you prune, these dont generally back bud well.

Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. You might be excited about these and want to work on them and do things with them quicker than they can handle. Temper that feeling, as it is a good way to kill a tree. Study them and do the work when they show you they are ready, when then they are growing well and healthy.

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No on the repot next spring, since youll already be putting them in pots rather late this year.
Give them good protection this winter and see how they recover from being dug up this year.
I wouldnt worry about repotting them again for a couple of years. Let them grow and get strong again.

If they look like they are starting to put on a lot of new growth in the spring, you can start pruning some of the branches you know wont go into the final design, but dont go crazy. Give them a chance to get stronger.
Also be careful how you prune, these dont generally back bud well.

Remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. You might be excited about these and want to work on them and do things with them quicker than they can handle. Temper that feeling, as it is a good way to kill a tree. Study them and do the work when they show you they are ready, when then they are growing well and healthy.
Thanks for the tips. I know this hobby is all about patience but have pruned and wired 5 nursery specimens this summer and so far they're still alive! I have been doing a lot of reading, researching while collecting plants. I'll have a mini forest in my backyard soon !

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the tips. I know this hobby is all about patience but have pruned and wired 5 nursery specimens this summer and so far they're still alive! I have been doing a lot of reading, researching while collecting plants. I'll have a mini forest in my backyard soon !

its not just the pruning and wiring, its the fact they were dug out of the ground in summer on top of the pruning and wiring.
But they are your trees, you want to take the chance of working them too much, your choice

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
its not just the pruning and wiring, its the fact they were dug out of the ground in summer on top of the pruning and wiring.
But they are your trees, you want to take the chance of working them too much, your choice
I will take your advice and wait for next spring or summer for pruning

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
You dug these up in August?!.
You might be lucky if they survive till next spring/summer without a lot of TLC!
Best keep them in a very cool sheltered spot out of direct sun and wind, and mist them regularly to help them recover.

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You dug these up in August?!.
You might be lucky if they survive till next spring/summer without a lot of TLC!
Best keep them in a very cool sheltered spot out of direct sun and wind, and mist them regularly to help them recover.
Is it not worth digging up? I have not dug them out yet and if they have a high chance of dying then maybe I shouldn't dig them up!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
If you have a choice I would wait till the optimum time for digging and transplanting.
in UK climate that would be in Autumn or Springtime - I suspect your climate in BC is slightly more extreme than mine but August is not a good time due to extremes of heat and drought which would likely cause severe transplant shock.
Maybe you should try researching and reading up about when local professional nursery growers transplant trees in BC?!
Im sure there are a few Bonsai nutters from BC who can also advise you?

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you have a choice I would wait till the optimum time for digging and transplanting.
in UK climate that would be in Autumn or Springtime - I suspect your climate in BC is slightly more extreme than mine but August is not a good time due to extremes of heat and drought which would likely cause severe transplant shock.
Maybe you should try researching and reading up about when local professional nursery growers transplant trees in BC?!
Im sure there are a few Bonsai nutters from BC who can also advise you?
The thing is it's a Facebook marketplace find. These people want it removed from their yard asap and I'm not sure they will wait for Fall or spring for me to dig it up. The pair of trees are free but if they no chance of surviving then I won't waste my time digging them up!

Reactions: AJL

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m on Vancouver Is. I would take them for free if they were over here … just get large rootballs and don’t trim anything. Put them in big pots, fill around the edges with garden soil and keep them well watered and in the shade. We have a little bit of heat coming next week (low 80’s) but after that I expect some nicer Fall temps.
Think about trimming or other bonsai work next year or even the year after.

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m on Vancouver Is. I would take them for free if they were over here … just get large rootballs and don’t trim anything. Put them in big pots, fill around the edges with garden soil and keep them well watered and in the shade. We have a little bit of heat coming next week (low 80’s) but after that I expect some nicer Fall temps.
Think about trimming or other bonsai work next year or even the year after.
Hey thanks a lot for the input! Yeah I'll be digging them out as planned.

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok dug them out but it looks like it's thuja instead of hinoki.

Attachments

• 20220814_163645.jpg
    20220814_163645.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom