Digging out grape vine

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the opportunity to dig out an old grape vine from a home undergoing construction. I know its rather late for repotting and collecting but would I be okay just scooping it out and throwing it in a nursery can until I can do more root work next spring?

Thanks,
Julian

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's what I did with an old ultra dwarf pear a few weeks back, it didn't even notice.
Give it a shot!

Aaron

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I'll go check it out tomorrow and gauge on whether I can remove it or not. Hopefully the root system is compact so I can dig it out with minimal disturbance. If its too wide spread I'll probably just leave it be.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'll go check it out tomorrow and gauge on whether I can remove it or not. Hopefully the root system is compact so I can dig it out with minimal disturbance. If its too wide spread I'll probably just leave it be.

If it is a large grape, trunk 4 inches or better, you really should not have to worry about how much root you get or how hard you chop it back. Once established you can dig them out in the fall, bury them, and replant in the spring up here. They do that to winter them at a lot of growers but our weather is a lot different. Perhaps call a grower or nursery out there to verify.

Grimmy

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I think you may be ok, just, and try and get as much as you can.

I worked in vineyards long enough to know I never want to touch a vine again but the only vines we ever moved we did in winter but with the vigour they have you can likely get away with it. You may want to seal the cuts as they bleed water when pruned back in growing season.
Actually that could be an issue.

I'd still give it a go however.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Grapes are tough. I worked at a winery one summer in college. They had a vineyard that had been hit by hard freezes two years in a row. Most of the vines had died back below the graft. They decided to abandon it and re-plant in the future. The vines were sprayed with industrial strength round up about 6 times before most of the vines were dead. Even then there were probably 10-15% that were still holding on. Looking back at it I wish I had collected some of them. Most of the vines were 5-6" across.

If it is now or never I would go for it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just pulled one from my backyard, well chopped it below ground level.

Great bark.

I'm gonna make a stand from a piece of it.

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My teacher dug up 20 last years winter, they came out with almost no roots.
They all thrived.

Top Bottom